Melodifestivalen 2023: Deltävling One - Gothenburg

VoR

Take it or leave it
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Brothers and sisters, we begin this year's Melfest on a mournful tip. For the first time since 2013, the lineup for Melodifestivalen 2023 does not contain one single Schlager diva of note. It's been on the cards for a while, yet even after a decade of hysterically predicting the end of the road every time a 2-bit Sonja Aldén ballad failed to go direkt, in the moment it still hurts (ooh it hurts, ooh it hurts) :(

Goodnight sweet ladies, may flights of angles sing thee to thy rest/bittersweet afterlife working the Diggiloo circuit for unbothered Swedish pensioners.

a4d31286-74ef-4296-8db9-2c275f554c64
linda-b.jpg
anna-book-melfest-2017.jpg
1644758722712-png.8286
IMG_3609.jpg
1674990304924.png
ZLUIOvEPzZUWlC3ZJDfCRsJ1g1a.jpg
500x500.jpg

Anyway, there's no use dwelling on the past, so let's move on to this year's fresh young hopefuls...

1. Tone Sekelius - Rhythm of my Show
melodifestivalen_tone_sekelus.jpg

(Anderz Wrethov, Dino Medanhodzic, Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt, Tone Sekelius)

Following her heart-warming success last year with My Way, Tone Sekelius is presumably opening this year's contest to reassure the traditional fans that there's still space for a little glitter och glamour in Melfest 2023.

Last year, going out first spelled doom for poor Malou Prytz, but Tone seems rather more broadly well-liked by the Swedish pubic, and with Ace Wilder having been served a court order to prevent her from ruining the careers of any more promising Melfest up and comers, there's a reasonable chance of this going through in some form.

2. LouLou LaMotte - Inga Sorger
Melodifestivalen%202023_1080x1080_LoulouLaMotte_F-MarkusSalman_R-SVT%20-%20Filippa%20Jildefalk%20CLEAN.jpg

(Jonas Thander, Loulou LaMotte)

In the career of every successful girl group, there comes a time when the standout performer must ditch the lesser stars and seize the spotlight for herself. Hoping to follow in the footsteps of icons like Diana Ross, Beyonce and Louise Redknapp, LouLou LaMotte is the first member of The Mamas to strike out on her own.

On the plus side (I said SIDE), there's a clear amount of good will out there, and considerably moreso seeing as she's not the other one who spent four years working in the country without bothering to learn so much as a syllable of Swedish. On the other hand, the combination of the slot of doom and this being a self-penned number does not suggest that this is one of the entries that Loreen should be losing much sleep over.

3. Rejhan - Haunted
Melodifestivalen%202023_1080x1080_Rejhan_OliviaArte_CharmingMusic%20-%20Albin%20Johnse%CC%81n%20CLEAN.jpg

(Albin Johnsén, Mattias Andréasson, Pontus Söderman, Tilde "Ronia" Wrigsell)

I swear the turnover for Melfest twinks is getting faster and more brutal as the years go by. Felix Sandman? A has-been! Efraim Leo? Gone without trace! Bishara? PROBABLY DEAD!

Latest onto the conveyor belt of doom is Sweden's Got Talent alum Rejhan, who packed his run on the show primarily with drippy ballads and looks set to do the same here. Per @Hak 'Haunted is a sentimental ballad about a relationship that ended'. Oh Kid, you're 16! Go sniff some glue in a park and THINK ON.

4. Elov & Beny - Raggen går
lankbild_meta_f8ef7c3a-12de-4d69-aa9b-493c030914c1_1200x1200.jpg

(Johan Werner, Kristian Wejshag, Mattias Elovsson, Oscar Kilenius, Tim Larsson)

Probably no strangers to huffing suspicious substances in public themselves, Elov & Beny are purveyors of braindead party hits for the youth to binge-drink and Tiktok to, and as such are here to bring a bit of Anis Don Demina energy to the mix. They're quite a big get for SVT, who will presumably be invested in getting them to the finals to bring in that all-important Gen Z viewership. Expect a big stage show and Samir & Viktor-esque shenanigans.

5. Victor Crone - Diamonds
VICTOR-CRONE_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659-1.jpg

(David Lindgren Zacharias, Peter Kvint, Victor Crone)

I mean honestly, what is the point? Is there anyone, anywhere who's been thinking "y'know who I really want to see at Melfest again? VICTOR CRONE". He's quite possibly the only man alive capable of making Robin Bengtsson look edgy and thrilling.

Still, he epitomises a kind of bland, radio-friendly professionalism that's usually good for a few votes, so don't be surprised if this progresses.

6. Eva Rydberg & Ewa Roos - Länge leve livet
Eva-Rydberg-Ewa-Roos-melo-2023.jpg

(Emil Vaker, Henric Pierroff, Kalle Rydberg)

AKA the scraps of old HOOF indifferently tossed out in lieu of a Philipsson or a Perelli to the Schlager-loving queers who, lest we forget, HELPED MAKE THIS CONTEST WHAT IT IS TODAY YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS :oi:

Ahem, anyway yes, this is sadly as close as we're going to get to a schlager diva turn this year, with the geriatric duo whose last entry became the surprise party hit at every nursery and care home across the land returning for a spot of diminishing returns. Like Victor, I'm not sure anybody was really crying out for a second helping of this, but I suppose we have to just take what we're given these days...

7. Jon Henrik Fjållgren & Arc North feat. Adam Woods - Where You Are (Sávežan)
Melodifestivalen%202023_1080x1080_Jon%20Henrik%2C%20Arc%20North%20och%20Adam%20Woods_F%20Jonas%20Pettersson-R-Peter%20Holgersson%20AB%20och%20F%20CourMedia%20CLEAN.jpg

(Calle Hellberg, Jon Henrik Fjällgren, Joy Deb, Oliver Belvelin, Oscar Christiansson, Richard Lästh, Tobias Lundgren, William Segerdahl)

The last time we saw Jon Henrik back in 2019, he had a faint air of yesterday's man about him. His is a kind of schtick which is inevitably going to lose impact the more times it's repeated, and with a third near-miss notched up, it felt like his moment had probably passed. But then that same year saw KEiiNO become breakout stars with a similar pop meets Sami vibe, and suddenly it looked as though maybe JHF had been slept on all along, particularly as Sweden continued to struggle with scoring big televotes in Eurovision.

Three years later he's back again, but with popular Swedish dance producer Arc North behind the (fake) decks, in addition to newcomer Adam Woods on non-joik vocals. All this suggests our man from Mittådalen might be making a timely effort to mix things up a little. Getting a plum heat-closer when you're on your fourth go-round is a fair show of confidence, so this is likely to be a front runner to go straight to the finals.

That's everything! We get journalist reviews on Tuesday and presumably SNIPPETS on Weds or Thurs. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Those are quite generous odds on Eva & Ewa considering their success last time.

Without fail a highlight of the Melfest year for me each year. Hooting away at the Loulou write-up and the entreaties to Rejhan to start huffing away on his nearest Pritt Stick (if only so he can pass out and not qualify) :disco:

I choose to believe this year won't be schlagerdiva-free though, but that it will be the birth of newer younger models - hoping Tone steps up to the plate with a key change, and I have very very high hopes for Emil Henrohn in heat 4 😍

Reactions: VoR
Also looking forward to Elov & Beny's BRAINDEAD HIT TO NOT BINGE DRINK AND TIKTOK TO :disco:

Also DISGUSTED AND APPALLED at the allegation 2013 did not contain a SINGLE SCHLAGER DIVA OF NOTE :evil: It FAMOUSLY HAD THREE!*

*Pernilla / Jenny / Martin Rolinski

Brothers and sisters, we begin this year's Melfest on a mournful tip. For the first time since 2013, the lineup for Melodifestivalen 2023 does not contain one single Schlager diva of note.
:evil: Tone is the biggest Schlager diva to come on to the scene since Linda Bengtzing. Speaking of the latter, she's gonna try and Killer Girl her way into every interval act this season. With Farah and Jesper, two non-singers, as hosts, SVT won't have many opt outs either.

Last edited:
I love Velvet and would welcome her back with open arms, but is she really considered SCHLAGER? She's more of a dance diva, surely?

Reactions: Hak
I love Velvet and would welcome her back with open arms, but is she really considered SCHLAGER? She's more of a dance diva, surely?
I would argue "Deja Vu" had the structure of a modern schlager (middle eight and key change included :disco: ) but yeah, I guess her other two entries were more of a dance diva.

Reactions: VoR
Looking back, Charlotte ultimately triumphing and there were a lot of good finalists made for a good year but JESUS CHRIST those Melodifestivalen 2008 Heat 1 results. :D

gRJFySv.png

I'm still furious that the first time I listened to 2008 heat one, @VoR pre-empted Suzzie Tapper by telling me it turned into one of the biggest schlager stormers of all time halfway through :oi: Ten years on and the wounds remain UNHEALED

I'm still furious that the first time I listened to 2008 heat one, @VoR pre-empted Suzzie Tapper by telling me it turned into one of the biggest schlager stormers of all time halfway through :oi: Ten years on and the wounds remain UNHEALED
Mean!

I mean it does have a KEY CHANGE and the staging for a schlager with that moment where the backing singers walk onstage in the last minute to sing with her, like a schlager. :D I bet if you speed it up on YouTube, it might be a schlager! :disco:

Suzzie Tapper probably benefitted from the other two songs sung in Swedish being another slow dreary ballad and THIS :D:disco:

Sweden wasn't ready for pre-emotionless Lisa Ajax (her flop changed her :( ) and the Pussycats.

TBT to @Suomi texting me the results of Andra Chansen 2007 while I was in China, claiming ELIN LANTO and UNO & IRMA had qualified. :basil:

It always tickles me when I remember that Amy Diamond and Lisa Ajax were the same age when they made their respective Melfest debuts. :D

MHWM Dead might be a bit too mature of a song for a 16 year old. Still, Lisa does it well.

Amy still pulls off cosplaying a thirteen at 30+!

a6aaf34d-80e3-4d61-8574-004cc1971918.jpg

3996b529-da0a-4897-a750-03ba30e02571.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh, it's the CHILLINGLY INACCURATE reviews tomorrow :disco:

I always love the comparisons they draw with other artists which, inevitably, the song ends up sounding FUCK ALL like.

"It's like Judas Priest meets Janis Joplin in a post-apocalyptic bondage dungeon"
Malou Prytz - I Do Me

Ooh, it's the CHILLINGLY INACCURATE reviews tomorrow :disco:

I always love the comparisons they draw with other artists which, inevitably, the song ends up sounding FUCK ALL like.

"It's like Judas Priest meets Janis Joplin in a post-apocalyptic bondage dungeon"
Malou Prytz - I Do Me
That would imply the reviewers listen to anything other than Eurovision and pop from 10 years ago :basil:

I mean, I'm baffled that it got the plum spot given how shit it is, but I don't really understand how anyone can be so flummoxed by what is, essentially, a discarded Liz McClarnon album track.
WHAT?! :D When did OUR LIZ ever get her hands on something that high budget?

50mg of Marina on repeat for YOU AND BEN BOTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom