Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 3 - Russia, Romania & Belgium RESULTS

Wogan’s Sanomi meltdown was pathetic - not least of all because it is fresh in my mind. But there is the opinion of a man who thought ‘Eighties Coming Back’ and ‘Hello From Mars’ were in with a shot.

1st: Kate Ryan - Je t’adore (249pts)
tumblr_nuzj3tltiX1u6536so1_1280.jpg

First by the most resounding margin yet so far in the contest - 56 points! - we have Kate Ryan’s Kylie-esque treat. Hugely hyped on the way in, by gays who I’m all too certain were led astray as to how often this sort of thing wins by Diva, an all-too complicated - yet nonetheless still quite boring - routine coupled up with some hideous camerawork and a star cameo for someone’s foot in the green room to send this tumbling out of the chunky 2006 semi. It almost certainly would’ve qualified in the two-semi era, but probably would’ve been headed for more of a Saara Alto result than an Eleni one once it got there.

NONETHELESS, we don’t care about such things at Moopy Towers, and in our strange perverse universe where the créme de menthe flows on tap and the views of people like @VoR and @Jacques are hallowed text, Kate swans through as a strong favourite for a top ten position come the final next year (month to be determined by my addiction issues). Obviously it didn't do our Kate much harm either, given she went on to have pancontinental hits with the likes of Elle elle l'a after this, and now sits in the Belgian Parliament as an MP for Vlaams Belang. A happy ending all round!

16 x 12 (@auretz, @Soldi, @Pingu, @Kratz, @Jacques, @Ill Advised, @Music, @dmlaw, @ZenGiraffe, @Queen of the Bay, @David 5000, @Apocalypt Flyer, @Kevin7, @VoR, @Ag, @Madison)
1 x 3 (@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA)

Last edited:
I loved Lisbon so much but Jesus H. Christ the Portuguese can’t do customer service.
Well I never had anything other than good service (:rolleyes:) from the Portuguese. I also see that and raise being felt like nothing but a constant inconvenience in Tel Aviv. Maybe it was just me.

Well I never had anything other than good service (:rolleyes:) from the Portuguese. I also see that and raise being felt like nothing but a constant inconvenience in Tel Aviv. Maybe it was just me.
I'd say my main issue with Tel Aviv (albeit not during the contest itself) was having to pay the equivalent of £9 for a cider. MONSTROUS!

1st: Kate Ryan - Je t’adore (249pts)
tumblr_nuzj3tltiX1u6536so1_1280.jpg

First by the most resounding margin yet so far in the contest - 56 points! - we have Kate Ryan’s Kylie-esque treat. Hugely hyped on the way in, by gays who I’m all too certain were led astray as to how often this sort of thing wins by Diva, an all-too complicated - yet nonetheless still quite boring - routine coupled up with some hideous camerawork (and a star cameo for someone’s foot in the green room) saw this tumble out of the chunky 2006 semi. It almost certainly would’ve qualified in the two-semi era, but probably would’ve been headed for more of a Saara Alto result than an Eleni one once it got there.

NONETHELESS, we don’t care about such things at Moopy Towers, and in our strange perverse universe where the créme de menthe flows on tap and the views of people like @VoR and @Jacques are hallowed text, Kate swans through as a strong favourite for a top ten position come the final next year (month to be determined by my addiction issues). Obviously it didn't do our Kate much harm either, given she went on to have pancontinental hits with the likes of Elle elle l'a after this, and now sits in the Belgian Parliament as an MP for Vlaams Belang. A happy ending all round!

16 x 12 (@auretz, @Soldi, @Pingu, @Kratz, @Jacques, @Ill Advised, @Music, @dmlaw, @ZenGiraffe, @Queen of the Bay, @David 5000, @Apocalypt Flyer, @Kevin7, @VoR, @Ag, @Madison)
1 x 3 (@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA)
Do we remember the Belgian vote announcer going off-piste with her Kate stanning and the hosts being all ‘yeah we love her too…’ whilst clearly actually thinking to themselves ‘WHO?!’

9th: Monica Anghel & Marcel Pavel - Tell Me Why (30pts)
monica_anghel-marcel-pavel_lead.jpg

My GOD, this wobbly horror! I have no idea who told the Romanians there was an audience for this depressing musical theatre dross, but whoever did deserves a world of pain - if only in recompense for putting US through one for these three minutes. It may not surprise you to learn there are strong rumours that the ninth place this got in the 2002 contest was heavily assisted by vote buying across the continent. In my view the least we could do was reward them with a ninth place here too, so I'm glad we managed that at least :lolly:

By the looks of things, these two still wheel this one out from time to time. Pleasingly, they both look deep into their sixties at this point. It’s what they deserve!!

4 x 4 (@Ill Advised, @AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA, @Kevin7, @Diddy)
8 x 0 (@Suomi, @Penelope, @Pingu, @Jacques, @dmlaw, @Apocalypt Flyer, @VoR, @Madison)

Last edited:
This is a song that was so bad, it couldn't even find someone on Moopy disturbed enough to give it more than a four. What a horrible thing.

Nah, Tell Me Why finished 9th not because of SIM cards (not all countries had mobile networks able to vote in 2002), but because Romania had 100% jury vote and their jury plus some more (Malta, Macedonia, Russia, also Croatia was mentioned, among others) traded points with eachother. The former Danish HoD (who’s no longer with us) told a story about how Denmark got an offer from one of the countries to trade points, which they politely declined - and eventually finished last in that contest.

7th: Taxi - The Moon (51pts)
dan-teodorescu-of-romanian-band-taxi-presents-the-song-the-moon-during-the-first-dress-rehearsal-for-the-grand-prix-eurovision-song-contest-2000-in-stockholm-may-12-the-winner-of-the-grand-prix-will-be-chosen-by-a-television-spectators-poll-system-on-saturday-may-13-pem-2D57TMW.jpg

I’ll admit - I developed a sneaking regard for this as the week went on. Obviously it’s a load of old bobbins and the lead singer has one of the most affected voices between here and Lena Meyer-Landrut, but it’s got a very melodious, sweet quality to it. Not that it counted for much come Stockholm, where it only got 25 points and saw Romania relegated from the 2001 contest.

This apparently wasn’t the Romanian broadcaster’s first choice for the contest. A young Paula Seling, at the time hyped as Romania’s answer to Britney (though who wasn’t in 2000!) had been lined up to represent the country with Step Back, but a radio DJ played it on New Year’s Eve 1999 - just hours before the submission cut-off at the time - getting it disqualified from entry. A total banger, but you can see how it might have ended up causing a multi-car pileup with Alsou had it made it…

Taxi, for their part, took their 17th place finish and relegation with impeccable grace by all accounts…

A few months after the Festival in Stockholm, they debuted an English-language song called "E.B.U - European Broadcasting Union": "We played poker by their rules... But in the end, they told us that four jacks are stronger than four aces." The song continues on, using an obscene expletive to express their disregard for the contest.

Keep your heads up loves - imagine if you’d got disqualified just because a gay DJ couldn’t hold himself back from playing you before the Y2K apocalypse! :basil:

1 x 10 (@win_the_game)
7 x 0 (@Soldi, @Kratz, @Music, @ZenGiraffe, @David 5000, @Kevin7, @Diddy)

Step Back was one of my first mp3s. It's still the best thing Paula Seling has ever done.

Bang Bang,
Shot you down,
Told you I'm not fooling around :D

Step Back was one of my first mp3s. It's still the best thing Paula Seling has ever done.

Bang Bang,
Shot you down,
Told you I'm not fooling around :D
Omg remember that time cwej did a presentation on how Playing With Fire was the greatest song of all time

6th: Nico & Vlad - Pe-o margine de lume (54pts)
nico-vlad-of-romania-perform-the-song-pe-o-margine-de-lume-during-the-finals-of-the-eurovision-song-contest-in-belgrade-may-24-2007-reutersmarko-djurica-serbia-2E75JPR.jpg

Who votes for this stuff? Romania in musical theatre mode has got to be one of the worst subgenres this contest has thrown up in its modern history. I'm surprised the organisers managed to hold themselves back from a producer-decided running order for 2009 after the terminal one-two punch of an opener to the 2008 contest that was this followed by Andy Abraham.

Apparently there was no shortage of controversy either over this getting chosen in the first place. Runners-up in the Romanian selection Biondo managed to rally a 10,000 vote petition to get themselves substituted as the entry, which is one of the more delicious storms in a gay teacup I've read so far. (Cyndi could never!) I can't say it would've been an unwelcome substitute either. as Romania doing musical theatre goes...

1 x 6 (@Pingu)
1 x 0 (@Ag)

Apparently there was no shortage of controversy either over this getting chosen in the first place. Runners-up in the Romanian selection Biondo managed to rally a 10,000 vote petition to get themselves substituted as the entry, which is one of the more delicious storms in a gay teacup I've read so far. (Cyndi could never!) I can't say it would've been an unwelcome substitute either. as Romania doing musical theatre goes...

1 x 6 (@Pingu)
1 x 0 (@Ag)

Biondo lead singer aka the only one providing live vocals (from backstage självklart) in "New Religion" :disco: :D

6th: Nico & Vlad - Pe-o margine de lume (54pts)
nico-vlad-of-romania-perform-the-song-pe-o-margine-de-lume-during-the-finals-of-the-eurovision-song-contest-in-belgrade-may-24-2007-reutersmarko-djurica-serbia-2E75JPR.jpg

Who votes for this stuff? Romania in musical theatre mode has got to be one of the worst subgenres this contest has thrown up in its modern history. I'm surprised the organisers managed to hold themselves back from a producer-decided running order for 2009 after the terminal one-two punch of an opener to the 2008 contest that was this followed by Andy Abraham.

1 x 6 (@Pingu)
1 x 0 (@Ag)

Didn't these two have a massive row immediately before going on stage?

5th: Sanda - I Admit (124pts)
Schermafbeelding-2016-05-19-om-22.31.48-1-800x421.png

Fifth place by some distance - just like in every beauty pageant and orgy Sanda has entered in her life - we have I Admit. Flagrantly breaking the tits or legs rule, this slaggish Kerry Katona analog has had me entranced all week, particularly with that lumbering chicken-in-a-basket choreography she’s got going on (and that AGED GAY backing dancer!).

Despite going out to perform second from last on the night, old Sandy's toot-toot-beep-beep moves only managed to scrape together 18 points from the continent at the Istanbul contest. Nonetheless, I’ve always thought of her as the spiritual grand madame of the brothel of the Alexandra Stan/Inna prostitute pop wave that took Romania and then Europe by storm towards the end of the decade (maybe it’s the dress that calls to mind weeping sores?)

According to the Eurovision 2004 DVD liner notes, Sanda is a trained lawyer back in Romania. Just IMAGINE being faced with that as your assigned solicitor before you went into a courtroom on murder charges!

1 x 12 (@win_the_game)
1 x 2 (@ButterTart)

4th: Elena Gheorghe - The Balkan Girls (163pts)
elenga-ghoerghe.jpg

The dearly departed @JET BOY famously (okay I say famously, obviously I just mean that @VoR always mentions this) had a theory that this banger being in a minor key meant it had an undercurrent of sadness. And he was right. When Elena sings in the bridge of this song about Balkan girls and partying, “I wonder if - be honest - there could be something better…”? She is making an implicit admission. She is admitting that she is an alcoholic and if she carries on like this every weekend she is going to DIE - and it was a MESSAGE TO ALL OF YOU TOO

Omg it's actually so good though. That there's literally a backing singer onstage disguised as a TREE

2 x 12 (@Jacques, @Queen of the Bay)
1 x 1 (@Broomhelga)

A mere 17 points divides our final top three - who came out on top out of Nicola, Luminita, and Mihai?

Tornero and Let Me Try are pretty much exactly the same song, but only one of them has Ruby Wax’s ropier sister bellowing over the top of it. I hope Moopy have made the right decision.

Sanda is anti-vaxx:
https://m-activenews-ro.translate.goog/stiri/Artista-Sanda-Ladosi-mesaj-puternic-impotriva-vaccinarii-copiilor-„COPIII-NICIODATA-Vaccinare-obligatorie-Seamana-mai-mult-a-otravire%3B-fara-garantii-fara-responsabilizarea-cuiva.-Chiar-lumea-nu-si-pune-intrebari-NU-injectarii-experimentale-167427?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui
After the amount of GUM jabs she's probably had to have, I'm not surprised :( Her blood's probably HALF MERCURY at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom