Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 3 - Russia, Romania & Belgium RESULTS

The Balkan Girls performance:

season 1 1x5 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

3rd: Luminita Anghel & Sistem - Let Me Try (190pts)
dpa-romanian-singer-luminita-anghel-and-her-band-sistem-perform-their-D3JCGX.jpg

Famously (no really actually famously this time) described as Ruby Wax on acid - and to these eyes, with the bronzer set to JESY to boot - Let Me Try still stands to date as Romania's joint best finish, scoring no mean feat in getting a bronze medal out of the ludicrously competitive 2005 contest pack performing from fourth. Little surprise either with this kind of spectacle. It's kind of astonishing to think that a nation that once realised the way forward was sending someone yelling over big drums and angle grinding would ever end up sending, well, the likes of HOTEL FM and THE HUMANS down the line and wonder where they were going wrong.

No shortage of controversy around this one at the national selection stage either. Out of a pack including future contestants Mihai & Nico and Mandinga, Luminita got the public nod, but also got a boatload of complaints from runner-up Loredana about vote rigging by the broadcaster. Her track Lele is also a pleasing load of old nonsense featuring angle grinders, which leaves me wondering who came first out of the two on using them. Imagine if she'd lost out at the national final stage only for Luminita to steal her gimmick and all come the contest too :D

6 x 12 (@Pingu, @Kratz, @Music, @ZenGiraffe, @AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA, @VoR)
1 x 2 (@Queen of the Bay)

God I ADORE Let Me Try

In terms of shouty balkan nonsense it really is at the peak of its genre

I think my favourite part is when it goes into the key change and she just carries on yelling, rooted to the spot, waving her arm enthusiastically like a drunk aunt :D

For someone who looked like she was staring into the chill wind of her 40s at the time, she looks like she's kept it together remarkably well since too!

Let Me Try is good but it deserves third place against this competition. Let’s have Nicola Sturgeon in second and all will be right with the world.

Yeah the HIGHS of 00s Romania are really high. Both Don't Break My Heart and Tornero are spectacular, Let Me Try a VERY strong 8 points.

Compare that to Belgium, Germany or Poland. :D :zombie:

There is, of course, an ANDRA CHANSEN round to come (DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED IN DUE COURSE)
I look forward to seeing how one country can have two or more songs in the final. It will be like Sweden in 2021 where they realised that there had been a horrible error with the televoting just before the contest and so were forced to send both Tusse and Charlotte Perelli to the final contest. After that, her fifth victory was just a foregone conclusion.

For someone who looked like she was staring into the chill wind of her 40s at the time, she looks like she's kept it together remarkably well since too!

If we are ageing her on the LOU SCALE she was probably 17 at the time of the contest

2nd: Nicola (pbuh) - Don't Break My Heart (196pts)
images (1).jpeg

Some artists are simply too forward-thinking to win the Eurovision Song Contest. Loic Nottet. Blanche. Margaret Berger. Anmary. To their number I add: Nicola.

Looking like Jessica Garlick all made up and ready for an early 00s night out on the town, Nicola had one mission: to get Romania their first legitimate top ten result in a year when almost all countries had been converted to televoting. (Of course, that didn't stop them getting a 12 from the Russian jury along the way, but what's a little work on the margins here and there between friends?)

She managed it with aplomb, with the backing dancers putting together enough costume reveals over the three minutes to put Peppermint, Roxxxy Andrews and Brooke Lynn Hytes combined to shame, and Nicola repurposing and reinventing the work originally done by Bomfunk MCs with some of the most novel and creative pronunciation heard to date on the Eurovision. (No! I have never known what the France Air for! But crucially, Nicola makes me WANT TO KNOW!)

Eurovision 2003 was one of the most overwhelming viewing experiences human civilisation has yet seen, and it stands as full testament to this song - this performance - and its power that it came top ten. Truly, Nicola blessed us all as a species. May peace ever be upon her blesséd name. May all who stood in the way of this qualifying for the Moopyvision 00s semi finals be eternally cursed to the depths!

5 x 12 (@Suomi, @Penelope, @Broomhelga, @David 5000, @Ag)
1 x 1 (@Diddy)

Last edited:
1st: Mihai Trăistariu - Tornerò (207pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Okay - to be fair, this is a complete fucking banger. So brava indeed to Mihai, who ends up as our FIRST solo male qualifier for the Moopyvision 00s semi-finals (OMG we're a quarter of the way in already now!), with a track described on Wikipedia as "well-received by the gay community, and played in European gay clubs". WELL!

Long-running national final desperado (bless them, they really are a particular breed aren't they?) Mihai finally got the nod with this at the fifth time of asking, having been bridesmaid in the Romanian selection in 2000, a bronze finisher in 2003, and a forgotten 4th placer in 2002 with dance group Valahia, and placing 3rd pairing up with Nico in 2005 (he has, of course, entered the national selection another four times since as well). Despite having the styling och consulting of a sad clown out of makeup during the waiter day job, this went down a complete storm in the Athens hall, finishing fourth ahead of the likes of Carola (something which I imagine worked wonders for her views on gays :disco:)

It really is quite a curious performance though. I'd never quite noticed the weird sub-storyline during of one of the dancers being appalled at Mihai ignoring her advances, as clearly put across to viewers by him...ignoring the advances of ALL THE OTHER DANCERS at the same time?? (For heavens sake girls, he's a GAY MAN! He's FAR too busy concentrating on trying to nail that F#6 to pay attention to WOMEN!)

For my part, my very favourite thing associated with this mincer is his predilection for periodically uploading powerfully unglamorous Gaydar-esque thirst traps of himself for the public, my favourite of which is one with a SINGULARLY UNINTERESTED CAT licking itself in the background. QUEEN!

810x0_14878447023fc81009.jpg

9 x 12 (@auretz, @Soldi, @Ill Advised, @ButterTart, @dmlaw, @Kevin7, @Apocalypt Flyer, @Madison, @Diddy)
1 x 0 (@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA)

Last edited:
Which means the scores on the doors after Round 3 out of 12 are as follows. 2000 adds another to its tally, but 2006 STORMS into the lead as Moopy's favoured year for entries so far with four!

Round 1
Former former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: XXL - 100% te ljubam (2000)
Sweden: Charlotte Perrelli - Hero (2008)
United Kingdom: Jessica Garlick - Come Back (2002)

Round 2
Estonia: Urban Symphony - Rändajad (2009)
Germany: Texas Lightning - No No Never (2006)
Poland: Ich Troje feat. Real McCoy - Follow My Heart (2006)

Round 3
Belgium: Kate Ryan - Je t'adore (2006)
Romania: Mihai Trăistariu - Tornerò (2006)
Russia: Alsou - Solo (2000)

2000: 2
2001: 0
2002: 1
2003: 0
2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 4
2007: 0
2008: 1
2009: 1

Thank christ I voted!

I totally called the orange desperadoes running away with the Belgian vote - Justice 4 Sanomi

That second place Romanian song is ROTTED! Did she learn English from Animal Crossing or something?

OMG they should totally allow Animal Crossing islands to compete in some kind of Eurovision knock-off.

Mine is already called the most Serene Republic of San Marino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom