Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 3: Czech Republic, Malta & Serbia

There's a good chance Sanja will be BACK this year in Rotterdam, as she's now in a girlband called Hurricane who are the HOT favouites to win the Serbian national final. She MIGHT have had a bit of work done since last time around...

Shocked that there isn't more love for Zeljko. Balkan ballads aren't massively my thing but as far as they go, I think that's a pretty great one (and personally I prefer it to both Adio and Lane Moje)

5th: Sanja Ilić & Balkanika - Nova Deca (91pts)

card.jpg

Oh now this one really HAS IT ALL. A wizened old man on the Belgradian nose flute, comically oversized drums and three virtuous maidens being terrorised by a hulking mass-murderer in his finest wizard cloak. They even end it with the obligatory TANK EWE EUROPE! :disco:

Frankly, it could have been released in 2008 and possibly even 1998 and sounded exactly the same, but warbling ethno-nonsense like this will always have a place in my heart.

1 x 12 (VoR)
2 x 0 (Kalabaliken, Kevin)

Love Nova deca LOADS even though I could only give it a 2 (everything else was SO GOOD :disco:). I quite miss the days of bollocks like that being able to sail into the top ten without losing breath, and I'm not entirely convinced we're all the better off for trading that in for the likes of Nobody But You.

Balkanika did WELL considering they came on straight after SuRie. They were standing to the side of the stage as the security dragged off the stage invader and they watched them batter the fuck out of him. The main singer girl started to hyperventilate but they managed to calm her down in time.

Love Nova deca LOADS even though I could only give it a 2 (everything else was SO GOOD :disco:). I quite miss the days of bollocks like that being able to sail into the top ten without losing breath, and I'm not entirely convinced we're all the better off for trading that in for the likes of Nobody But You.

I don't even remember how Nobody But You goes.

4th: Milan Stanković - Ovo je Balkan (92pts)

IG_IMG_3655.jpg

Love this Lesbian. :disco:

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be the earliest example of the Balkan genre known as Turbo Folk on the Eurovision stage. Other examples would include Croatia 2006 (RIP @Madison :() and Moldova 2009 - fabulously tuneless bangers, in other words.

A true TRAILBLAZER in music and fashion, Milan has since had quite the makeover and remains one of the biggest stars in Serbia. This video from two years ago has amassed 70 million views. :o

4 x 12pts (Suomi, sewerynsven, Penelope, Zu-Klara)
4 x 0pts (Buttertart, Ag, Ill Advised, Kevin7)

Oh BRAVO MILAN and bravo everyone else who shares my exquisite, cosmopolitan taste. Forever #1 in our hearts :disco::disco::disco:

I still don’t understand how Nova Deca made the final.

It looks like so many different people at once, I'm getting notes of Sara Cox from that picture.

Not that notes should every be mentioned in the same breath as him, the tuneless little shit.

I seem to remember some news report saying that Milan hit the highest number of OFF NOTES in the 2010 contest. Of course we sophisticates (not you, @ButterTart :tongueout:) know that it was MEANT to sound like that :disco:

What a LUSTROUS SEXY DELIGHT Milan appears to be these days, and definitely NOT AT ALL someone going wild with a Sharpie on an egg :disco:

Reactions: Zu
God everything about Serbia is fabulous. Whatever I gave zero to I'm sure I'd still listen to quite cheerily regardless. I need to go there immediately

God everything about Serbia is fabulous. Whatever I gave zero to I'm sure I'd still listen to quite cheerily regardless. I need to go there immediately

Squeeze me into your valise please. I’m quite fancying a FAT SERB (with a comprehensive Milan collection :disco:)

My Serbian is a little rusty, but I assume that 'ovo je Balkan' means 'egg of the Balkans'.

3. Moje 3 - Ljubav je svuda (93pts)

DSC_0889.jpg

After sending their biggest domestic star in 2012, Serbia naturally decided to go HIGH CONCEPT for the followup, hence this haunting 3 minute micro-play in which a slightly terrifying doll-child (Homer, you've got it set on whore!) is tormented by the opposing forces of good and evil, acting out an on-stage battle for her virtue.

Perhaps understandably, Europe didn't quite get it, and this marvellous old toot became a rare misfire for the Serbs. They had a bit of a sulk in 2014 but fortunately for us they couldn't stay away for long...

2 x 12 (Jacques, Buttertart)
3 x 0 (Pingu, David_5000, Alla)

So it's busty Bojana vs the less memorable Tijana, who I must admit I never saw coming...

God Ljubav je svuda is an UTTER ODYSSEY :disco: Gave it a 3 and I've REGRETTED IT EVER SINCE!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!

Utter garbage. The definition of musical genocide.

Nevena to DIE for that atrocity, and 'Kruna' while we're at it.

Squeeze me into your valise please. I’m quite fancying a FAT SERB (with a comprehensive Milan collection :disco:)

I don't expect to return in one piece which frankly is fine but you're on. True trailblazers are the Serbs :disco:

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be the earliest example of the Balkan genre known as Turbo Folk on the Eurovision stage. Other examples would include Croatia 2006 (RIP @Madison :() and Moldova 2009 - fabulously tuneless bangers, in other words.

I’d quite forgotten about ‘Hora din Moldova’!

:disco:!

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd: Tijana Bogićević - In Too Deep (136pts)

Tijana+Bogicevic+Rehearsal+2nd+Semi+Final+q1zTATxedbql.jpg

It's... a piece of fabric :square:

For a while this was actually threatening to win this round, which I personally would not have endorsed, but I guess when you're as restlessly creative as Serbia, it's inevitable that the most MOR entry would slip through the marmite. It mostly did well from being in the upper middle of virtually everybody's ranking.

I mean, it's fine. Essentially a middling Katy Perry single, it was quite a surprising NQ at the time, but an early start and that fuck-awful gown did her in. Poor cow looked genuinely gutted too. She was only 3 points from the line, but fortunately BIG ANG from Denmark prevailed. :disco:

1 x 12 (Ill Advised)
1 x 0 (Sewerynsven)

WINNER: Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies (174pts)

6480596-3x2-700x467.jpg

But OF COURSE :disco:

For some reason Serbia tend to be more comfortable courting the lesbian market than queening out for the boys (see Marija, and of course sapphic icon Milan) but they made up for it in style for 2015 with this absolute banger.

In retrospect, the vocal is an absolute mess and the stage show is a complete dog's dinner, but it all just adds to the package as far as I'm concerned. It also inspired my favourite Eurovision related tweet ever, which I can't find now but read "Ooh, me pill's kicked in love" in reference to the mid-song disco wigout.

Underperformed a little in Vienna at the time, but still cracked the top ten and clearly its place in Moopy's collective heart remains undiminished.

TANK EWE

10 x 12 (Superstylin', Ag, Pingu, David_5000, Alla, Kevin7, Dark Carnival, Kalabaliken, Kevin, Raining On Me)
Lowest score: 3 (Suomi, Win The Game)

I liked how Nevena ended up being my top and bottom when it came to evaluating Serbia

A predictable winner for this one. Surprised but pleased that "In Too Deep" did so well, it's a bit basic but I still loved it at the time.

LOVE In Too Deep. I mean, it's more or less About You Now stapled onto Running (Lose It All) and sung by the hard-faced lesbian lovechild of Kati Wolf and Shirley Clamp.

Still, GOD LOVE Stacey Layne Matthews' going in with the entry Esma Redzepova SHOULD'VE HAD :disco:

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom