Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 7: Belarus, Finland & The Netherlands

Now Trintje Oosterhuis - Walk Along isn't the worst entry from that lot, but her look most definitely is. What IS she wearing, what a state!

That dress, I have no words. Did she win the Barbara Dex that year? If she didn't she was definitely robbed. Mind you that I'm not sure people understand the meaning of that award anymore, I remember Loreen being one of the most voted for the award :manson:. I guess the new eurovision gayz just vote for dresses they don't like.

I still recall the gasps of gay horror when Trintje first took the stage in that monstrosity. :D

The whole staging was a complete shit show. What on earth were they thinking?

EVERYTHING about that Trintje performance was horrendous. The opening camera shot was absolutely awful, and it didn’t get any better.

I just remember her wailing WHY! WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYY straight down the lens of the camera looking mildly deranged, and thinking as a viewer WHY INDEED

I'm not sure I'm ready to face this ocean of dreariness but I'm going in.

Was Belarus that bad? I bloody love at least two of their entries, I thought they were a bit more like Slovenia in that wildcard "what will they serve up now" sense. I'm sure various horrors will come flooding back mind...

I don't think this round was especially better or worse than any of the others.

As for The Netherlands, yes it's all very nice and commendable how they've turned their fortunes around but fuck me what a bunch of boring nothingness on the whole. Just safe, background radio numbers now, though not all without merit.

It's exactly how I imagine the UK will sound if they get their shit together. It'll do but it's just no fun is it?

EVERYTHING about that Trintje performance was horrendous. The opening camera shot was absolutely awful, and it didn’t get any better.

I just remember her wailing WHY! WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYY straight down the lens of the camera looking mildly deranged, and thinking as a viewer WHY INDEED

I say this every time it comes up, but I genuinely don't understand why they took a sweet, catchy Natalie Imbruglia number and turned it into a manic depressive nightmare.

If they'd stripped back all the nonsense, brightened up the stage show and had her sing it like she did while she was promoting it in the Dutch media, I'm convinced she would have qualified.

Hans Pannecoucke had one great staging and a whole lot of ridiculousness (weird close up, awkward silence, surfboards, whatever solo Waylon was, more weird close ups for Sennek and a glowing ball).

He did the Sennek and Waylon stagings as well? :D How does he keep getting hired?!

I don't think this round was especially better or worse than any of the others.

And it wasn't overall.

Belarus, a few forgettables aside, filled their time better than SOME (i.e many) countries we could mention.

I was harsh on Netherlands, there's some gems in there including one I'd all but forgotten which I gave my 12 to. Still a whole bunch of crap as well.

Finland can fuck right off for the most part. Poor Norma John though, I was optimistic it would be top 5 in the final never mind fail to qualify :D

Wasn’t Salvador really close after them? I get why could have taken all the televotes but juries not putting it in the top 10 was a bit of a surprise.

God Blackbird was a one-note funeral dirge, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!

I can’t imagine anybody sitting through it voluntarily, NEVER MIND picking up the photo to actively try to make the entirety of Europe watch it AGAIN!

:D

Some of us quite enjoy a ONE NOTE DIRGE in certain doses.

She sang it well, the lyrics were simple and lovely. A manic depressive cloud for sure but I'll take that over the whole heaps of NOTHING we regularly get.

God Blackbird was a one-note funeral dirge, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!

I can’t imagine anybody sitting through it voluntarily, NEVER MIND picking up the photo to actively try to make the entirety of Europe watch it AGAIN!
Gurl, bye!

I think there were only three or four songs I want to listen to again across these countries; Azerbaijan alone has more of those from the decade.

Actually no, I don't hate Calm After the Storm. I have no feelings towards it.

After that performance? You are cold.

But besides thinking it was a great performance (I wasn’t sold on the song alone initially either) I felt such pride we finally sent something great to Eurovision after years of embarrassments and having to explain to everyone that it wasn’t Europe hating us. It was us sending crap.

Blackbird was gorgeous but the camerawork was a complete fucking disaster. Compare and contrast with Calm After The Storm and Arcade's camerawork on how to bring a song that people could otherwise tune out on to LIFE

Fucking hell Belarus, I want to have penetrative sex with the guy from Litesound :shock: (that hair needs to go first thought)

Ok that’s enough, I’m going out before I say more stupid things like that.

See you tomorrow around noon, just in time for me coming out of my k-hole :tongueout:

After that performance? You are cold.

But besides thinking it was a great performance (I wasn’t sold on the song alone initially either) I felt such pride we finally sent something great to Eurovision after years of embarrassments and having to explain to everyone that it wasn’t Europe hating us. It was us sending crap.
That basically mirrors my experience as a British Eurovision fan, except the sending something great bit.

Belarus done! Two very different different performances fought it out for that prized DOUZE POINTS :o

Ranking:

I'm actually going to rank them all pretty much the same. Finland and The Netherlands both a mix of good and awful songs and Belarus with no absolute highlights but still not a single performance I didn't enjoy one way or another.

I'm going to sit this round out. Haven't been able to motivate myself to listen.

This week was a bit of a trial. Eight awful songs from Belarus and six from Finland, with nothing better than OK to compensate for them.

So when are we getting the results? Hoping VoR isn't taking the #BeKind movement too far and cancelling the whole thing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom