Poland declares war on cats

Saltwater

Ex QOTB
I think Australia started the genocide of its cats based on a similar justification.

I love mine dearly, but 'invasive alien species' is hard to argue with.

Show me the lie.
rabbit seagull GIF

Ooooh the polish government has issued an official statement denouncing this :disco:

Do cats really cause THAT much damage to birds? I mean I know some will hunt and kill and that's shitty especially in breeding season, but I imagine a huge amount don't? I imagine most birds they can't even get to. The figures seem a bit questionable. What are these other mammals? Because if it's rats and mice, well...

Wait, where do cats COME FROM? I thought they were just native to EVERYWHERE?!!
That's really awkward, that institute suggested they're alien to Poland on the basis that they were brought over from Africa 10k years ago!

Idk but shouldn't a species be considered native from a certain point on? In the same logic what are modern Americans humans to America, or Australians to Australia? Are they not aliens? And how much of the indigenous population did they harm and threatened? Should they be classified as alien invasive species too?

Well technically not the same, but I feel that they overlook that we are the most invasive and threatening species of all to both our own and any other and it's ridiculous for humans to point the finger at animals for doing what they're meant to.

Last edited:
Idk but shouldn't a species be considered native from a certain point on? In the same logic what are modern Americans humans to America, or Australians to Australia? Are they not aliens? And how much of the indigenous population did they harm and threatened? Should they be classified as alien invasive species too
Yes, GET RID!

Do cats really cause THAT much damage to birds? I mean I know some will hunt and kill and that's shitty especially in breeding season, but I imagine a huge amount don't? I imagine most birds they can't even get to. The figures seem a bit questionable. What are these other mammals? Because if it's rats and mice, well...

I believe it is considered fairly inarguable science that the popularity of cats is fucking awful for local biodiversity.

Sorry feline fans. You’re all worse than Kylie Jenner and her ten minute private jet flights.

I believe it is considered fairly inarguable science that the popularity of cats is fucking awful for local biodiversity.

Sorry feline fans. You’re all worse than Kylie Jenner and her ten minute private jet flights.
Isn't ANY predator 'awful' for biodiversity? Come back when BIRDS ARE GOING EXTINCT

Imagine coming home and there's little Hugo whimpering on your doorstep with his guts spilling out and the cat's paw on his neck :disco:

Isn't ANY predator 'awful' for biodiversity? Come back when BIRDS ARE GOING EXTINCT
Plenty of them are at least threatened and that's not to mention rare small mammals. The problem isn't cats themselves but that there are too many of them. In a natural ecosystem, there would be one wild cat in an area of a couple of square miles. When there are as many cats as there are around human habitations, the local prey animals don't have a chance.

Reactions: VoR
That's really awkward, that institute suggested they're alien to Poland on the basis that they were brought over from Africa 10k years ago!

Idk but shouldn't a species be considered native from a certain point on? In the same logic what are modern Americans humans to America, or Australians to Australia? Are they not aliens? And how much of the indigenous population did they harm and threatened? Should they be classified as alien invasive species too?

Well technically not the same, but I feel that they overlook that we are the most invasive and threatening species of all to both our own and any other and it's ridiculous for humans to point the finger at animals for doing what they're meant to.

The term native is sketchy at best because almost everything came from another place at some point. Apparently native is something that "occurred naturally within a specified geographical area" - what does that even mean really? That's kind of everything and nothing.

I just checked the UK list of invasive alien species. Egyptian GOOSE? May as well add conservative party voters to the list, very much INVASIVE with a great deal of ALIEN

And Muntjac Deer are so cute, it seems hard to believe they're that destructive given I'd wager most people have never seen one. Though I get that they're bolder than your regular deer and live longer so are prone to fast population growth

Yeah what dmlaw said. Cat populations are just unsustainably large. Dogs are far less damaging because they're much less likely to kill or displace other animals.

Muntjac are everywhere in East Anglia. My brother's had them in his garden munching his plants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom