Rock Hall Nominees 2024 (Mariah Carey, Cher, Sinead, Sade)

Funky

User
Another great list this year I feel! And they are continuing to fill the gaps on the pop icons who still fit into the category (thanks to songwriting, influence, success, etc)

MARY J BLIGE
MARIAH CAREY
CHER
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND
ERIC B & RAKIM
FOREIGNER
PETER FRAMPTON
JANE'S ADDICTION
KOOL & THE GANG
LENNY KRAVITZ
OASIS
SINEAD O'CONNOR
OZZY OSBOURNE
SADE
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST

2023 Nominees
2022 Nominees

Cher & Mariah I predicted, as they feel next in line following the catch of recent pop icons such as Whitney Houston, Lionel Richie and George Michael.

Mary J Blige and Sade are now multiple time nominees and one of them might have a better chance this year

I had been expecting to see Lenny Kravitz and Oasis over the next couple of years and happy to see both :disco:

Foreigner and Kool & The Gang also seem to be glaring omissions compared to other acts of their eras so not surprised to see those

So happy to see ATCQ for the third year running - could this be the first year of two Hip-Hop inductees because both ATCQ and EB&R have had multiple nominations now and are both long overdue

Ozzy seemed to be an omission due to it being commonplace for many rock legends to be in for both solo and group where applicable, and Ozzy in particular has had, if not a more influential, certainly a more commercially successful career as a solo artist, so it kinda makes sense.

The one I expected but don't see this year is Tracy Chapman. Her grammys performance might have come to late to make a difference.

It's tough for me this year but I would go with

Cher
Mariah Carey
Lenny Kravitz
Oasis
A Tribe Called Quest

but I'd be very happy with any out of Mary J Blige, Sinead O'Connor, Kool & The Gang, Eric B & Rakim....

But I think it will be

Cher
Mariah Carey
Dave Matthews Band
Foreigner (or Ozzy)
Sinead O'Connor
Eric B & Rakim

Do all the ones who were listed last year but didn't make it automatically get listed the following year?

Predictions (not necessarily who I think is most deserving)

MARIAH CAREY
CHER
FOREIGNER
SADE
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST

Does anyone still listen to Dave Matthew's Band?

would be interesting to stack all these acts up with their streaming stats. Not that that is the most important factor, but interesting.

I assume they have a cult following as their albums still debut big in America (aside from the very last one) but I haven't heard anything from their catalog since 2010 IRL.

And looking at their Spotify streaming numbers only one song is above 100m.

Do all the ones who were listed last year but didn't make it automatically get listed the following year?

No it’s reset every year. There does seem to be more repitition than usual though. It feels like they’re trying to fix a few gaps.

Does anyone still listen to Dave Matthew's Band?

would be interesting to stack all these acts up with their streaming stats. Not that that is the most important factor, but interesting.

The Rock Hall loves Americana, particularly over other rock genres where there have been complaints over some well overdue omissions (Iron Maiden for example).

I think he won a few fans in his Willie Nelson speech in the last induction ceremony too. I had a feeling they might get a nom this year.

They really were crazy big for a time though. I think at one short point they were possibly the biggest band in America.

No it’s reset every year. There does seem to be more repitition than usual though. It feels like they’re trying to fix a few gaps.
I figured as much. Obviously it would be dull if you just waited until you got it, but it seems odd (particularly for the heritage acts) if they were deemed worthy for inclusion one year and then not the next.

I figured as much. Obviously it would be dull if you just waited until you got it, but it seems odd (particularly for the heritage acts) if they were deemed worthy for inclusion one year and then not the next.

i think it’s because it’s an academy nomination system, the rules are a core academy selects who they think should be considered and then a wider community of industry experts choose from those names. If you don’t get in one year it might because they don’t think you’re ready, or because it’s a crowded field, or you’re up against too many in your genre. Largely I just think it’s such a difficult choice to make and if only 5 can get in, great names can miss out.

Kate Bush is probably a great example - she’d been nominated a couple of times but it was the Stranger Things comeback that finally tipped her over. She hadn’t done any more work to change her legacy in the meantime, so it shows how public consciousness or a chance to reeducate people can make a difference. And like any awards show timing is everything.

I think there’s also a bit of a rotation system with these things. Iron Maiden is the one that gets talked about the most, but they haven’t been nominated the last couple of years. Next time they do I think they’ll get in.

I don't think I've ever heard a single Dave Matthews song.

I hope they vote in Cher only for her to publically REJECT IT

I don't think I've ever heard a single Dave Matthews song.

I hope they vote in Cher only for her to publically REJECT IT

They ALL come around! Even Rage Against The Machine turned up last year (well, one of them...)

I think only Radiohead at this point have rejected the Hall, but even they went from being vocally against it to quietly and diplomatically recognising it in a "I suppose it has a place for some people" kind of way, once they got inducted...

I suppose there's no way not to come across CUNT when someone is trying to gift you a shiny trophy

But I imagine Cher would be more OK with that than most

Definitely some surprises this year. Mariah didn’t make it :( (she will eventually probably even next year) but Mary J Blige did after the 2nd or 3rd attempt :disco:

Cher IN even though she promised to refuse it. :disco: I wonder if she’ll change her mind…

Sinead O’Connor surprisingly misses out, as does Oasis, Sade and Kravitz. Much like last year, even though they’re catching up on pop acts, the 70s and 80s still dominating over the 90s.

So happy for a Tribe Called Quest! Finally! And very happy to see Kool & The Gang at the first attempt about 20 years after their first year of eligibility.

Dionne Warwick among the influencer/excellence side awards.

Thrilled for Chair even though she said she didn't want it

Hoping she'll change her tune and attend the ceremony to watch Jojo Siwa perform Believe :disco:

ZUoSAO.gif

While I realize I border on LOON for her, it’s pretty shocking that Mariah wasn’t chosen.

I can see DMB mainly because they still draw massive crowds due to touring and have a huge fan base even if their sales have went down some. They are heading into the “forever tour” era like Phish and The Grateful Dead.

Last edited:
Bit of a random fact but I was mildly gagged by Cher apparently being the first person to be inducted who has also won an Oscar for acting

That’s TALANT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom