Tennis 2021

Speaking of winning, Emma Raducanu is in the second round. :disco:

Heather Watson is now British no.1 again after Jo Konta withdrew. :manson:

The quality of tennis and the number of high quality matches at the US Open has been absolutely ABSURD this year. Wild ride in the best possible way.

Tiny lefty queen. Short FH takeback reminds me so much of Safařova.

Bonkers tournament. In a good way but bonkers.

(And we have to laugh how now one is talking about Djokovic's GS quest anymore - feels like the men aren't even playing)

God help men’s tennis if it keeps producing Zverev-Djokovic matches.

I know "I HOPE BOTH LOSE" are the four words on all of my tennis friends' lips but really, I just need Zverev to lose. ABZ, baby. Anyone but Zverev.

Fernandez’s quality of opponent on her run to the final has been so impressive. Konjuh, Kanepi, Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina and Sabalenka is quite a list to navigate. That almost makes her deserve the title in itself but I wonder how much is left in the tank.

Fernandez’s quality of opponent on her run to the final has been so impressive. Konjuh, Kanepi, Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina and Sabalenka is quite a list to navigate. That almost makes her deserve the title in itself but I wonder how much is left in the tank.

RIDICULOUS draw - even the first two rounds. Konjuh has started playing well again and Kanepi is such a Grand Slam enigma; the next 4 are just an absurd sequence of 3 set victories.

Even if Raducanu's opponents were not as high quality, breezing from Qualifying into the Finals without even being taking to a TB is just as nuts.

Feels like Raducanu's tennis can be reproduced easier though. The Fernandez run reminds me so much of Puig zoning for an entire tournament in Rio.

Yes, Raducanu’s tennis is technically going to stand her in good stead week to week potentially. Fernandez is really feeding off an energy and vibe that will be hard for her to tap into week in week out and also she won’t get it at most tour events. I hope it’s a great match.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the different between being unseeded and classed as a qualifier? They keep saying Emma is the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final. I always thought that was Becker in 1985.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the different between being unseeded and classed as a qualifier? They keep saying Emma is the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam final. I always thought that was Becker in 1985.

Unseeded = player gets into the main draw directly but not one of the Top 32/16 seeds.
Qualifier = Had to wins qualifying matches to get into the main draw itself.

Unseeded = player gets into the main draw directly but not one of the Top 32/16 seeds.
Qualifier = Had to wins qualifying matches to get into the main draw itself.
I suppose that’s obvious, thanks. So is it just rankings that decide who automatically gets in the draw?

I suppose that’s obvious, thanks. So is it just rankings that decide who automatically gets in the draw?

Correct, Cut-Off is usually around a ranking of 100 - more or less. Plus a couple of Wildcards.

The Fernandez-Raducanu hype is fucking amazing. I hope the match lives up to it. I'm at Trevor Noah gig tonight so can't watch it live so my phone will be off and I'll try my best to hide any results...!!

The Fernandez-Raducanu hype is fucking amazing. I hope the match lives up to it. I'm at Trevor Noah gig tonight so can't watch it live so my phone will be off and I'll try my best to hide any results...!!
What time does it start? I assumed it would be past midnight for us.

I honestly haven’t watched any of it this year as I only JUST realised it’s on Amazon Prime rather than Sky Sports. I’m an idiot.

Last edited:
What time does it start? I assumed it would be past midnight for us.

I honestly haven’t watched any of it this year as I only JUST realised it’s on Amazon Prime rather than Sky Sports. I’m an idiot.

9pm UK time!

Why couldn't the semi-finals have been on earlier - although I was surprisingly not dead at work yesterday given I'd been up past 4:30am.

9pm UK time!

Why couldn't the semi-finals have been on earlier - although I was surprisingly not dead at work yesterday given I'd been up past 4:30am.
That’s fantastic. I remember in the 90s going over to my mum’s house as she had Sky Sports, just to watch at 1am. That was when I watched all the slams religiously, but it all petered off when Agassi retired :shy:

Channel 4 have struck a last minute deal with Amazon - it’ll be on terrestrial TV.

Amazon Prime apparently reinvesting the "fee"/£ they receive from Channel 4 into British Women Tennis grassroot funds. Pretty sweet.

9pm UK time!

It's a US event. They're not going to run late stage matches much earlier than 5pm EST on a weekday - unless it can't be avoided.

Spill the tea?

Looking forward to this, I have Amazon prime but credit to C4 for snapping this up at the last minute!
He made some very innocent remark about Raducanu’s impressive run of scores to the final and mentioned something about being reminiscent of a young Serena Williams… maybe a bit premature since I think Serena beat bigger and better players in 1999, but he got POUNCED upon by Serena fans as if he’d committed an act of treason or something :D

He made some very innocent remark about Raducanu’s impressive run of scores to the final and mentioned something about being reminiscent of a young Serena Williams… maybe a bit premature since I think Serena beat bigger and better players in 1999, but he got POUNCED upon by Serena fans as if he’d committed an act of treason or something :D

Oh dear! Twitter can be very toxic and negative I find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom