The Crown - Netflix Elizabeth II Drama

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
This should be right up Moopy's alley

This story reveals the political rivalries and romance behind Queen Elizabeth II's reign and the events that shaped the 2nd half of the 20th century.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n8Q0bJ_zO7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starring:
Claire Foy as Princess Elizabeth
Matt Smith as Philip Mountbatten
John Lithgow as Winston Churchill
Greg Wise as Lord Louis Mountbatten
Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret
Jared Harris as George VI
Andy Sanderson as Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester
Michael Culkin as Rab Butler
Nicholas Rowe as Jock Colville
Amir Boutrous as Gamal Abdel Nasser
Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary
Harriet Walter as Clementine Churchill
Jeremy Northam as Anthony Eden
Alex Jennings as Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor
David Shields as Colin Tennant
Josh Taylor as Johnny Dalkeith
Rosalind Knight as Princess Alice of Battenberg
Nigel Corrigan as Alec Kirkbride

Great to see Claire Foy in a proper meaty leading role. She's been great in small parts in lots of things and needs to make that leap.

My instinct is to be mildly annoyed at the casting of AN AMERICAN as Winston Churchill, even if he is an Academy Award nominee.

There's a new trailer, expected to debut EARLY NOVEMBER

Unofficially the most expensive tv show EVER.

Wasn't the Get Down supposed to be the most expensive show ever.

Well I've motored my way through this and it is just spiffingly wonderful. It's reminiscent of Game Of Thrones at times, except Margaret doesn't arrange for the cabinet to be poisoned after they veto her marriage to Peter Townsend.

Great performances all round too with the women outshining the men. And beautifully directed, definitely one to watch on the biggest tv possible and not a laptop or iPad.

And for fans of this and The Queen, the NT Live production of The Audience which was filmed for cinema screenings is available "in usual places".

Well I've motored my way through this and it is just spiffingly wonderful. It's reminiscent of Game Of Thrones at times, except Margaret doesn't arrange for the cabinet to be poisoned after they veto her marriage to Peter Townsend.

Great performances all round too with the women outshining the men. And beautifully directed, definitely one to watch on the biggest tv possible and not a laptop or iPad.

And for fans of this and The Queen, the NT Live production of The Audience which was filmed for cinema screenings is available "in usual places".

This was absolutely stunning. Brilliantly written, some fabulous star turns... not the soap opera-esque pastiche we have become used to with Royal dramas.

Side note: Philip and/ or The Queen are likely to die while this is still being made.

This was absolutely stunning. Brilliantly written, some fabulous star turns... not the soap opera-esque pastiche we have become used to with Royal dramas.

Side note: Philip and/ or The Queen are likely to die while this is still being made.

Oh god this was fucking amazing I thought I would watch one or two episodes Sunday and basically watched the whole damn thing.

Immense. The Margaret stuff was heartbreaking .

Strangely I also liked Matt Smith as Phillip

I thought I'd give this a try, expecting to be mildly entertained but didn't expect that I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It's phenomenal.

It's easy to see why it is Netflix's most expensive drama, it's visually STUNNING and they've employed hundreds of extras even for the smallest of scenes. It's a joy to watch.

I also love how they've weaved Elizabeth II's obvious dislike of Philip in to every scene they share.

8 episodes in and I love EVERY FUCKING MOMENT of this. The performances are superb, they've not been sycophantic to anyone (especially the "DEAR OLD QUEEN MUM" who comes across as a RIGHT CUNT until Episode 8, when she buys the castle and you see the human side to her), it's directed beautifully. Foy is excellent in a role where she manages to convey that she is bursting at the seams with emotion but cannot let it show, which must be so hard, Lithgow is phenomenal (didn't think I'd say that as I too was annoyed at an American as Churchill) and Matt Smith is brilliant in what could easily be a role lost to the stronger women in the cast. Shame there wasn't much of WALLIS- presumably not more to come either, but we'll see.

But let's face it, it's ALL ABOUT MAGS, but then WASN'T IT EVER SO? Vanessa Kirby is astonishing, probably having to play the widest range of emotions of the entire cast as Mags juts from playful sister to tortured soul and the gin and ciggies begin to take their toll. So brilliant a portrayal that is almost is a shame she isn't the focus. Which is, if you think about it, deliciously perfect...

I'm 4 episodes in and agree with the consensus - this is wonderful stuff. I'm not even interested in the Royal Family but this is just top notch television. Foy is particularly excellent in a brilliant cast.

Apparently Princess Marge and Marge Thatcher were BFFs, bonding over their love of divorced men.

It's made me rather interested in the WHOLE SORRY LOT OF THEM. I spend an hour after the show GOOGLING EVERYONE INVOLVED...

Margaret's reaction in the key scene of episode ten is one of the best pieces of acting I've seen this year. Just wonderful.

Just watched and said the same thing. Both lead women are SUPERB in this, but Mags edges it for me with that scene. UTTERLY phenomenal and heartbreaking (though if, as I just have, you've read up on what actually happened, it's not ENTIRELY the truth...

After stalling on Episode 1, I got back into this and ploughed through the rest. Rather good isn't it? Season 2 was announced for December now.

I like it, but I don't really like any of the characters apart from The Queen. ESPECIALLY Margaret! And ESPECIALLY Phillip!

I do feel like I need to rewatch. It was just so damn LAVISH that it needs a second viewing. Sad that we're getting new actors every few series, hopefully they can pull off such a move.

I see Michael C Hall (Dexter) is playing JFK which is quite inspired, especially following fellow Dexter star Lithgow. Someone called Matthew Goode is playing Lord Snowdon. He has an extensive Wiki, but I don't recognise him.

The season 2 trailer doesn't excite me that much, but I'm sure there'll be some good stuff...

Olivia Colman will take over from Clair Foy and play Elizabeth in seasons 3 & 4.

Are other characters changing? Matt Smith's Phillip is so on point.

Helena Bonham Carter will play older Margret.

As happy as HBC makes me, I hope they tried Gillian Anderson first. She was my dream Mags casting.

Last edited:
Who is playing Phillip?
I think they should just keep Matt Smith with some of the worst aging make up you will ever see

Also the old Queen Mum was relegated a lot in this series .

I however can’t wait till the Diana and Fergie Years .

Menzies' fucked up teeth have always bothered me.

I think it's going to be really difficult to adjust to this new cast. Claire Foy as Queenie really WAS The Crown for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom