'The Shining' star Shelley Duvall suffers mental breakdown

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
If you ever wondered what happened to Shelley Duvall... well she got really beautiful and is now really normal...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the film but thought Duvall was TERRIBLE in it. SORRY GUYS

Well it's not like she was ever an oil painting was she.

All that psychological damage done by Kubrick probably got to her.

I'm hoping that clip is edited to make her seem crazier than she really is :(

Poor love.

I watched it on Halloween and I still love both their performances.

It's so sad. There've been rumours she's been struggling with mental health problems for years, but I hoped it was just tabloid gossip.

I think it's a bit simplistic to blame the Kubrick experience for 'breaking' her. She had a twenty year+ career after The Shining that included not just acting but also producing, directing and presenting.

The Shining is obviously the role that will define her, and I can totally see why it's a divisive performance, but she's so much more than that really. Her films with Robert Altman (3 Women, Thieves Like Us) are among my all-time favourite screen performances, and as much as the Popeye movie is a mess, there's nobody else who could have played Olive Oyl as well as she did. :D

Hope she gets the help she needs anyway.

Yeah getting exploited by that fat cunt is surely the last thing she needs.

After 'The Shining' she produced, directed and starred in a popular Children's TV series called Faerie Tale Theatre. They're all quite charming retellings of classic fairy tales starring major Hollywood stars of the 80s. That's a compilation of her strangely hypnotic introductions which has become something of a meme.

My personal favourite is the one with LIZA as the Princess & The Pea.

Last edited:
It was totally Mulholland Drive before Mulholland Drive.

Obvs Mulholland Drive had to have model-type leads due to the LA/film industry setting, but I've always thought 3 Women is really enhanced by them having cast two of the strangest looking actresses of all time - it fits well with the plot

e42586a33086a6f0d66a74e678723e67.jpg

They should've formed a pop duo

Dr Phil is an abomination for exploiting her like this.

This. What a foul nasty man.

Really sad to see her in a state like this, hopefully she'll get the help she needs. :(

Good on Mia Farrow for boycotting her appearance on the Dr. Phil show in support of Shelley.

That's been set up by Stanley Kubrick's wacky scientologist daughter Vivian. I'll pass.

I watched first 15 mins of this earlier and it's actually super boring because there's no way to get a narrative from her. Every question he asks she responds with something that doesn't make sense.

I watched first 15 mins of this earlier and it's actually super boring because there's no way to get a narrative from her. Every question he asks she responds with something that doesn't make sense.

Well of course. She's unwell.
Mental illness isn't supposed to be entertainment.

I loved her in The Shining.

Well of course. She's unwell.
Mental illness isn't supposed to be entertainment.

Why be so patronising? It's not like I'm not aware. There are different levels of mental illness. It was really sad to see how bad she was. If she had been less ill, there might have been some form of narrative that was something we could learn from, but there wasn't.

Should could have at LEAST GONE LIVE on FACEBOOK during PSYCHOSIS right?

I wonder if this episode was brought on by the RED PENS OF CWEJ.

I wonder if this episode was brought on by the RED PENS OF CWEJ.

So many of my ex-students are in mental hospitals. I'm not sure if it's the red pens or the calculus-induced torture.

I read that the other day. I'm happy she's doing well, and has a nice community around her.

The Dr. Phil interview came up in my YouTube list randomly last week. Glad she's able to work again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom