UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

Yep. The momentum (ha) has completely evaporated. It'll take a far bigger 'scandal' than this for him to go.
The momentum has only evaporated because we're stuck waiting for the SG report. It has pictures of the prime minister next to wine bottles. They'll be plastered on the front pages and the letters will be in by that evening

The momentum has only evaporated because we're stuck waiting for the SG report. It has pictures of the prime minister next to wine bottles. They'll be plastered on the front pages and the letters will be in by that evening
This. People got despondent after last week's PMQs and now, just 7 days later, he's mired in even more shit and the publication of a report so damning it required police intervention is imminent :disco:

84e32732-c9b8-4e79-9342-0bb1bd3895de_text.gif

This. People got despondent after last week's PMQs and now, just 7 days later, he's mired in even more shit and the publication of a report so damning it required police intervention is imminent :disco:
Yes but his supporters are interpreting this as the loony left/'remoaners' (insert other disparaging remark about people like... us basically here) clutching at straws. The whole 'affair' is being turned into some ridiculous debacle that is blown out of proportion. There are some corners that are even saying that police investigation into the PM over something like this is 'undemocratic' .

I don't want to be all doom and gloom here but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'report is nothing but a reiteration of what we all already know and the whole thing fizzles out. You only have to look at his affect in PMQ. His support is galvanised.

Yes but his supporters are interpreting this as the loony left/'remoaners' (insert other disparaging remark about people like... us basically here) clutching at straws. The whole 'affair' is being turned into some ridiculous debacle that is blown out of proportion. There are some corners that are even saying that police investigation into the PM over something like this is 'undemocratic' .

I don't want to be all doom and gloom here but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'report is nothing but a reiteration of what we all already know and the whole thing fizzles out. You only have to look at his affect in PMQ. His support is galvanised.
I agree, but these are his colleagues and hardcore stans, the public's perception of him is different altogether, his approval is somewhere below Idi Amin, and the loyal fanbase won't cling on much longer when they realise exactly how toxic he is (irreparably so, I'd say) he is to their election chances. This story isn't going away and he has enough enemies within the ranks to ensure a continuous drip feed of new scandal.

I agree, but these are his colleagues and hardcore stans, the public's perception of him is different altogether, his approval is somewhere below Idi Amin, and the loyal fanbase won't cling on much longer when they realise exactly how toxic he is (irreparably so, I'd say) he is to their election chances. This story isn't going away and he has enough enemies within the ranks to ensure a continuous drip feed of new scandal.

The public are fickle. Come election day i can see this being entirely forgotten.

No Sue Grey report today then. Apparently there's a fight between Grey and Boris - Grey wants it all out there, and Boris just wants a summary.

UK ha MAD DESPOT era is upon us :eyes: buckle up for a long 20 years ladies, and remember to wear black to democracy's funeral :disco:

Last edited:
The sheer nerve that the narrative is now that reporting on secret illegal birthday parties during a lockdown at Downing Street is "trivial" and people are focusing on the wrong issues.

We've now entered Donald Trump territory. All future scandals will be largely ignored because the public are numb to it.

He's relying on the boomers now to keep him afloat, the ones who say "well he's a bit of a CAD but I like him better than that other bloke whose name I forget"

How fruitless to try and suppress the whole report. Firstly, it makes you look like a tinpot dictator and the whole thing will leak within 5 minutes anyway.

Pippa Crear is probably in a headscarf and dark glasses by the Cabinet Office bins as we type.

Pippa Crear is probably in a headscarf and dark glasses by the Cabinet Office bins as we type.

:D!

This whole thing is mega dispiriting, but the report must be fairly damning if he's desperately trying to suppress it.

Exactly and it will at least leak internally anyway and blabbermouths (aren’t we all?) won’t be able to help themselves. :D

‘OK, as long as you promise not to tell ANYBODY…’

I feel quite sure nothing of consequence will be released. the redaction will be hot n heavy.mp3
Peston made a good point about how redactions are possibly worse. It means that the police report will then become the next thing to look at, which drags things out for longer and gives another point for everything to flare up again, as well as fuel speculation in the interim as people try and figure out what has been redacted.

His best long term play (though to be fair he never seems to think long term) would be to release unredacted in full and try and survive it. The police report would then be nothing new, and he could hand wave it. The fact he isn't doing this suggests the report really is awful for him, and he is just running down the clock to try and think of a way to get out of it.

How fruitless to try and suppress the whole report. Firstly, it makes you look like a tinpot dictator and the whole thing will leak within 5 minutes anyway.

Oh they'll all be lining up to get this thing leaked. Nadine Dorries will accidentally forward it to her entire address book while she's trying to empty her recycle bin.

I don't wish to be insensitive, but I'm kind of agog that this whole thing is essentially being tabled so that MPs can spend the entire day 'debating' holocaust memorial day.

What on earth is there to say?

(also still think any discussion of whether he's "going to get away with it" is basically moot until the Sue Grey report is out and we know what form it's out in/how the public reacts to any obvious attempt at a cover up, but there we go)

The other massive downside of all this is that the hard right wing of the Tory party are going to use this to push the party much further away from the centre. For his sins, Johnson at least seems genuinely engaged in the climate change issue (to the extent that he's capable of being genuinely engaged in anything). Whether it's one of the terms of saving his skin or under a new leader, we can probably expect things to get much worse in that regard among others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom