Weren't the Carpenters good?

why dont they publicise these things !!!

thanks for the tip - stuck it on, and recording it too !

Oh god isnt he just...

and I hate the way they deride Karen's solo album.. I love it.

Oh, so it did come out? I thought from the doc that they scrapped it.

Oh, so it did come out? I thought from the doc that they scrapped it.

They released a couple of tracks on the Lovelines album (released after Karen died) and then they released the album in full in 1996

B000002G64.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

ooooh and theres 9 unreleased tracks floating about

*heads to ebay to look for bootleg cd*

It's not a rainy day OR a Monday but my GOD that song RESONATES nonetheless

From TIME to TIME I have a Carpenters session and fall in love with her voice all over again

Tonight is one of those times <3

She's like a pre-90s Jo O Meara

Reactions: VoR
Solitaire is so ridiculously depressing it's almost CAMP.

As is 'Goodbye to Love'.

It's been SUCH a long time since I put Gold on, but they made gorgeous songs. Sadly I've just looked and don't appear to have took it with me to my new flat as quite fancied putting it on after singing "baby baby baby baby .. oh baby" whilst not being sure of the words.

sing
sing a song
make it simple
to last your whole life long
dont worry that its not good enough
for anyone else to hear
just sing
sing a song

Dear Karen could even make SILLY OLD RUBBISH like this into GOLD :)

I'd have loved to hear Karen duet with kd lang. They always remind me of each other. What a pair of voices.

Oh God I didn't know they did MUPPET MOVIE CLASSIC 'Rainbow Connection'

It's JUST TOO MUCH LOVES *collapses into quivering heap*

Last edited:
I still can't listen to that without bursting into tears

What a sentimental old fool I really am

The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Song, which was on ITV recently

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nDEejT2868Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't make me listen to 'The Rainbow Connection' again, I'm at WORK

Have you been sleeping and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it
The Rainbow Connection
The lovers
The dreamers
And me.

Reactions: dUb
There's a new orchestral album coming. This is beautiful:

I can take the Carpenters in small doses. They do have about 5-10 songs I like.

Are they rush releasing this? It seems to have “Christmas” all over the concept...

Their songs are a perfect match for a full blown orchestra. But they need to incorporate Karen's voice, surely?
Oh hang on, it's not going to be fully instrumental, is it?

No, Karen’s voice is definitely part of it. And not sure about a rush release either, he’s been posting about it for much of this year

And I can't believe I hadn't contributed to this thread before.

Song For You is probably my favourite of theirs. Oh actually, no it's For All We Know. Oh who am I kidding, I love them ALL.

Her voice remains my favourite thing ever. I can blub within minutes of listening to a Carpenters song.

Goodbye To Love really is gloriously miserable, isn't it?

SEARCH UDISCOVERMUSIC

uDiscoverMusic
NEWS
Richard Carpenter Conducts ‘Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’
The album features Carpenter’s new arrangements of the group’s timeless, original vocal and instrumental tracks.

Published on

November 1, 2018
By

Paul Sexton
Richard-Carpenter-photo-Credit-Carsten-Windhorst-2-web-optimised-1000.jpg

A&M/UMe have announced the 7 December release of Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The album combines the group’s original vocal and instrumental tracks from their 100-million-selling catalogue with new orchestral arrangements by Richard Carpenter, conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios in London. It’s available for pre-order now in digital, CD and 180-gram 2LP vinyl LP formats. It will be released in the vinyl format on 8 February.

Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra comes on the heels of the RPO’s album projects of recent years accompanying the catalogues of Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Roy Orbison and the Beach Boys. But the Carpenters’ album represents the first time that one of the artists who created the timeless original music has been closely involved in their new presentation. Carpenter serves as the producer, arranger and conductor on the album.

“I think that’s what makes it very special,” says Royal Philharmonic orchestral manager Ian Maclay, “the fact that it’s his music and he knows it and that he was there from the start. It’s not somebody else interpreting, which is what normally happens.”

From today (1), the fiirst two tracks, the new orchestral versions of ‘Yesterday Once More’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Darling,’ are available for streaming and immediate download with pre-orders of the digital album. On 16 November, the Carpenters’ version of The Beatles’ ‘Ticket To Ride’ will be available as the next taster for the album.

Carpenter and the RPO convened in Studio 2 at Abbey Road from 13-16 August 2018, the hallowed location that hosted legendary recording sessions by The Beatles, Pink Floyd and countless others. Richard’s new arrangements add to his original vocals and keyboards, Karen Carpenter’s vocals and drums, woodwinds by Bob Messenger and guitar by Tony Peluso.

The recordings also feature such stellar guest musicians as Joe Osborn on bass, Hal Blaine on drums, Chuck Findlay on trumpet, Earle Dumler on oboe, Tommy Morgan on harmonica, Buddy Emmons on pedal steel and Tom Scott and Doug Strawn on saxophone.

Carpenter explains that the new album gave him the chance to expand on the original, vintage recordings. “‘Close to You’ called for a sparse string arrangement,” he says, explaining that he would have liked to have more players and a richer sound on the hit version. “In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only ten violins playing it. Now, we’ve quadrupled that. So, anyone with the ear for it will hear it immediately. It’s the same line, but it’s richer, because there are so many more players.”

He adds: “There have been more than a few times when I have thought, ‘I wish I could have a second crack at that,’ and there were places where things could be augmented without overdoing it. That’s the trick.

“These refreshed tracks more than ever showcase Karen’s remarkable voice,” he concludes. “And that to me was reason number one for undertaking the project.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom