Everything But The Girl - New Album 2023

do you know I completely forgot to consult Adapt Or Die for this countdown! Is it not on Spotify? I would have found it when putting this list together.

I haven’t actually listened to it in ages but I remember being so impressed with it back in the day - part of me is like, don’t mess with the originals, and then you hear them and you’re like, can Tracey’s voice possibly sound bad on ANY version of a song?

I’m yet to hear it.

Her voice... shivers. They are playing with it in different interesting ways but those moments when it just sounds so completely her are even more special.

I kind of expected it was going to take off at the end, but I might be glad it didn't.

WOW. Just wow.

The lyrics are stunning. The vocal layers are stunning. The piano chord sequences are stunning.

Her voice has definitely aged but it brings new character to it rather than sounding inferior, and it’s also always unmistakably her. I love the husky undertone it suits the song here.

Some definite trip hop vibes here but moreso from the emotional, dramatic element than the beats. And again it sounds timeless.

I am obsessed with this comeback era.

• Care
Reactions: LTZ
Glad to hear it’s another strong one. I’m debating whether to listen as with it being a 10 track album I’m not sure if hearing three tracks in advance will dampen it on release. No doubt I’ll have caved in by the end of the week.

Four stars in Mojo. Very good review, it all sounds amazing basically.

Sample lyrics from Karaoke:

I was in the groove
Someone tried some Dylan
But the place remained unmoved

Run A Red Light, which is my favourite song in the world right now, has been added to Radio 2 (C-List) and 6Music (A-List).

Nothing Left To Lose has also quietly racked up 2m plays on Spotify, and 1.5m on YouTube. Not bad for an 80s/90s band. I think this album is going to be a hit.

Those synths :disco: and her voice sounds much more like classic Tracey than the altered effects of some of the other songs.

At this point I can’t see this NOT being album of the year for me. Already with those 4 songs we’re entering 10/10 territory

Here's what I mentioned about Tracey Thorn and Everything But The Girl (on an Enya thread 😅) a few days ago:
Yet to listen to more music from Everything But The Girl and other Tracey Thorn songs, but they are really interesting from what I have heard so far, and she has a nice voice, even with age. I also only just saw that EBTG is returning (rather soon, with a new album on 21st April!)
Hope 'Fuse' does well! :D 🪄🎶

Random extra thing, I liked seeing the 1983 archive footage on the main ETBG YouTube channel💡(This :) )

Tracey's vocals on the song Nothing Left To Lose are particularly good, and I like the song Caution To The Wind 🎙️🌬

Fascinating that this new EBTG album after many years, will be released in just a few days' time! 🌟

I really love the new song, all four have been excellent but this one feels a but different. I'm already slightly obsessed with the lyrics, especially Fabio from Torino and his FIAT CINQUECENTO

I’ve not read all the others but

NME - 4/5
Evening Standard - 4/5
Mojo - 4/5
Buzz - 4/5
Why Now - 5/5
Clash - 9/10
Allmusic - 8/10
Slant - 3/5

No rating from Rolling Stone but a very favourable review. Most of what I’ve read seems to pull out “Run A Red Light” as a highlight.

First listen:

10 Nothing Left To Lose
10 Run A Red Light
10 Caution To The Wind
07 When You Mess Up
10 Time And Time Again
10 No One Knows We're Dancing
08 Lost
10 Forever
08 Interior Space
10 Karaoke

I mean it's an amazing album there's no question. It's definitely the album they were supposed to make. Lyrically it feels more like a Tracey solo album, it's less of the heartbreak and lovelorn of the EBTG era, and way more confessional and reflective. There's a couple of experimental tracks which will take time to bed in as individual songs but as part of the movement of the album, they work. Dancing and Forever are probably going to emerge as big fan faves - either of them could have launched the album but I'm still glad they went with the darker and more experimental NLTL, it showed that they meant business in their comeback.

I'm already looking forward to another listen tomorrow.

can’t wait to listen to this tonight on the train.. tbh the only album where I loved everything all the way through was Temperamental, but I have a feeling that this might be perfection from beginning to end

Brave of them to sample Wonderful Christmas Time on Time and Time Again.

I really need more time to ABSORB, but clearly an instant 10/10. I almost wish I hadn't heard the four singles prior as they are so familiar in the context of the album it's harder to hone in on the new songs.
I can't quite believe this album exists :D

Did we see that they did a live session for 6Music too this week? Again the impossible becomes possible!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001ll55

The new songs are great, but Single in particular is phenomenal and in comparison to the new tracks Tracey is clearly much more confident about singing it live.
If we can't have a tour a LIVE ALBUM of Fuse and other material would be just :disco:

Also I love the artwork? So 90s RAVE FLYER it hurts.

Also not to be morbid, but I must also say considering Ben's health issues (that have flared up AGAIN recently quite badly), and the lyrics of Nothing Left To Lose, part of me does worry that this album has come about because they've realised it may be the last chance they get to do it :(

Initial listening is very positive, Forever is the stand out of the new songs but it is a very strong and pretty varied album. When You Mess Up is probably the least instant, slightly challenging one.

I listened to it once starting with When you mess up , and then 2 times more the whole way through.. it’s impossible to stop when it morphs from Karaoke back into Nothing left to lose , and those first three songs have even grown on me after numerous listens. It’s a brilliant album all the way through, and even the more challenging songs are perfect in the flow of the album. Maybe this is the best album of their career ?

Last edited:
It’ll take a lot to beat Temperamental for me but it’s possible

Initial listening is very positive, Forever is the stand out of the new songs but it is a very strong and pretty varied album. When You Mess Up is probably the least instant, slightly challenging one.

I was getting Mer Girl vibes from WYMU. It’s experimental, off-rhythm and story-based (the independent had a good write up on it) but might have been better served at the end of the album; maybe they felt that would be too predictable. I see it as an extended interlude and that works for me

I was getting Mer Girl vibes from WYMU. It’s experimental, off-rhythm and story-based (the independent had a good write up on it) but might have been better served at the end of the album; maybe they felt that would be too predictable. I see it as an extended interlude and that works for me

Yes after that stellar initial run of familiar songs I think it is in a tough spot as the first new offering.

Some HOT STATS (bit late, apparently they were #1 in the UK on the first day)

iTunes:
#1 Ireland
#2 Luxembourg
#2 Portugal
#2 Spain
#2 Sweden
#2 United Kingdom
#3 New Zealand
#4 Australia
#4 France
#4 Netherlands
#5 Cyprus
#5 Denmark
#5 Germany
#5 Italy
#5 Mexico
#5 South Africa
#5 United States
#6 Canada
#7 Belgium
#7 Switzerland
#10 Austria
#17 Belgium
#30 Bulgaria
#38 Estonia
#38 Japan
#61 Switzerland
#135 France

• Care
The more reliable streaming stats:

Apple Music:
#2 Netherlands
#3 Sweden
#4 Iceland
#5 Denmark
#5 Ireland
#5 New Zealand
#5 United Kingdom
#6 Bulgaria
#7 Belgium
#10 Germany
#10 Luxembourg
#10 Norway
#11 Latvia
#11 Lithuania
#12 Estonia
#12 Finland
#13 Portugal
#15 Spain
#16 Switzerland
#18 Australia
#19 Austria
#20 Greece
#24 Malta
#27 Poland
#28 Argentina
#28 Croatia
#30 Italy
#33 Moldova
#36 France
#39 Czech Republic
#47 Hong Kong
#49 Armenia
#51 Hungary
#51 Slovenia
#52 Chile
#60 Ukraine
#63 Singapore
#77 Cyprus
#77 Serbia
#77 Turkey
#87 Canada
#99 Brazil
#118 Mexico
#128 Romania
#133 Thailand
#134 Peru
#149 Japan
#172 Philippines
#180 Colombia
#189 Malaysia
#197 United States

• Care
I actually VIOLENTLY DISAGREE with the general claims online that this album forms some sort of trilogy with Walking Wounded and Temperamental.
After two days of listening, outside of the singles it's actually quite a dark and meditative experience.

Temperamental in particular I really see little correlation, outside of perhaps Caution To The Wind.

Perhaps the introspective lyrics echo Walking Wounded, but the songs themselves have a different energy. OBSESSED either way of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom