Madonna - Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones (remix anthology)

RHINO have shipped my 6-LP order.

Thank GOODNESS I had put in TWO ORDERS from TWO SEPARATE ONLINE RETAILERS (so I can open one copy and gaze lovingly at the second UNOPENED one. If only I did that with blue Madame X)

LOON UP LOON UP!

I've got so many CONFIRMED - SHIPPED emails from all the various retailers for my 393820984 copies :disco:
I swear I almost had a stroke trying to keep track of all the copies of Voyage I had coming last year from various sources. And even after they arrived, I remained convinced I was missing a format or two.

Got the venue exclusive red vinyl a couple of weeks ago.

Still waiting for the Australian green and gold vinyl.

Well I’ve played this today and once you get past the 80s stuff and onto the “proper” remixes it really is quite a fun ride.

The fact that she paid CAC dust but had space for that lousy remix of MATM tho

Trolldonna feeds us and I live

My red and clear vinyls have also arrived as have the single CDs

So basically collection is complete except for the all important 6LP version.

Someone remind me what's happening with streaming please? I have no intention of buying a physical.

I can confirm the Beautiful Stranger remix still slaps and there may have been a buss prolapse this morning as a result on the morning walk / dog run

Bought the 3CD. Not a good purchase for me. Given the number of tracks marked as a radio, 7" or video edit, I expected some kind of alternative Greatest Hits that bore more resemblance to the songs as I knew them. Instead I now have three CDs of some songs I love and some songs I couldn't hum if you put a gun to my head and said "sing it, fatty" of which around 90% have been retooled into thump-thump-thump banality that has aged like milk in a heatwave. My fault for not doing my research but also, theirs for not properly flagging what this is: the front cover says "MADONNA", "FINALLY ENOUGH LOVE" and "50 NUMBER ONES". Nowt else. Even the hype sticker only hints at the contents.

The mastering is brutal as well.

Oh, and SOPHIE is deadnamed in the booklet which is a poor show.

I'm not investing in a physical, but as a compilation it's mostly very good. It really kicks off in the early 90s when the radio edits stop and the name remixers appear and doesn't really stop until the messy recent years. Even then there's some sexy lil treats.

I'm on my first complete listen now.

Not sure how I feel about Physical Attraction and Everybody appearing where they do. I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

What else is out this week? Are we expecting #1?

I think the competition is probably Aitch who will do much better on streaming. Madonna has multiformatted well enough but that doesn't always cut it in the 2020s.

I agree it could be labelled as a remix project on the cover more clearly for non loons but the fact it was remixes sold it to me as I have all the original stuff.

Steps Platinum collection currently outpacing her comfortable on iTunes. :side-eye:
It is double the price and there’s no new material. Plus they’re constantly touring and doing in store signings literally every week. Just saying .

This is a far more interesting proposition than a conventional greatest hits, which in the age of streaming is normally just a tool to milk rabid fans who will collect ANYTHING and everything (mentioning no names). Kudos to Madge.

This is a far more interesting proposition than a conventional greatest hits, which in the age of streaming is normally just a tool to milk rabid fans who collect anything and everything (mentioning no names). Kudos to Madge.
Yes, as much as a lot of the later stuff doesn't do much for me, I like having the earlier mixes and edits together.

And in these streaming days, even if I never touch the later mixes, I'm still contributing to the album sales, just like someone with the opposite opinion.

Obviously she's never going to be a huge artist on streaming, but it would be good for her to get a consistent presence.

Off topic but Step Back In Time was the most cynical pile of tosh. I get she needed {to release] something but it took practically no effort, was not at all definitive and came across as a budget compilation.

Kylie farting out a compilation every few years is just something that happens. I genuinely can't remember if I bought SBIT or not. I don't THINK I did.

Kylie farting out a compilation every few years is just something that happens. I genuinely can't remember if I bought SBIT or not. I don't THINK I did.
I did and then got mightily pissed off when they released the 3 disc edition within about 6 weeks. Always cautious with Kylie now and, judging by how cheaply the various editions of 'Disco' had to be sold off, I;m not alone.

The thing is, I'd be thrilled to get a proper Madonna singles compilation. Just the singles; the A sides as they were released at the time. All of them. But this seems to be off the table. I mean, what happens if you give people what they want? How can see then sell them more if you give them what they want?

In the UK? #10 sold 4.3k last week - surely that would be a considerable disappointment.
I don't really have any commercial expectations for Madonna releases anymore to be honest (and definitely not a remix album). She certainly doesn't anyway, and I don't think her team does either.

Clearly the fanbase will lap up multiple formats etc. but I think that's where it will start and end.

Obviously she's never going to be a huge artist on streaming, but it would be good for her to get a consistent presence.

The way for her to do that would be to have one definitive GH on streaming, like the ones that are always in the charts week on week. Whitney Houston is the template here; have one compilation and not several.

The thing is, I'd be thrilled to get a proper Madonna singles compilation. Just the singles; the A sides as they were released at the time. All of them. But this seems to be off the table. I mean, what happens if you give people what they want? How can see then sell them more if you give them what they want?
This was specifically released to celebrate her dance remixes to be honest. Many of these were not available outside of 12" mixes and were not on streaming. For the hardcore fanbase it's been a very welcome release.

I don't really have any commercial expectations for Madonna relates anymore to be honest. She certainly doesn't anyway, and I don't think her team does either.

Clearly the fanbase will lap up multiple formats etc. but I think that's where it will start and end.
Also a remix project is quite a niche release so nobody is expecting 83 weeks on the chart. I’m glad all these remix edits are quite manageable now.

The way for her to do that would be to have one definitive GH on streaming, like the ones that are always in the charts week on week. Whitney Houston is the template here; have one compilation and not several.
That would be The Immaculate Collection. 13xP and counting.
Celebration has a stronger streaming presence.
Those two are her main GH compilations. I wouldn't want another one anytime soon to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom