Melodifestivalen 2023: Deltävling Two - Linköping

I hope they at least let her take home the giant W.

I wonder what became of that child whom refused to high 5 Linda?

I loved that interval act. One for the ages.

I wonder if this is part of some grander scheme to rehabilitate Linda ready to come back next year…

…and come 6th in her heat.

I thought the falling off the stage bit was a bit weak...especially as Carola did it so much better!

Not surprised that Wiktoria is out. Her song and performance was giving a massive 'been there, done that' kind of vibe.

Not surprised that Wiktoria is out. Her song and performance was giving a massive 'been there, done that' kind of vibe.
On the contrary. She had declined to compete a few times as the preassure of being faourite meant that she couldn't enjoy it as much as she would've wanted the last time out. She said that she felt more mature going in and more able to enjoy the ride this time around. W wanted to compete with a song she chose herself but also give the audience a great stage number.

Cut to rehearsal week and apparently she had a similair gut feeling as Charlotte did in 2012 and Bengtzing in 2014. Seeing the other performances she's became even more nervous than any previous year she's been competing and thought to herself "this is gonna be tough to even qualify" all the while people around her were hyping her up saying she was certain to advance. Suffice to say she didn't like her people putting that kind of preassure on her just because she had done well before.

She admits to probably having misjudged what kinds of songs does well in this competition as the competing entries were aimed at a broader audience.

Oh dear, Wikky will be foghorning a ballad on her next attempt then.

Typical that the first time she had a song and performance combination I was really on board with that it all went wrong.

The Tenessee Tears studio version is actually very pleasant, though I am surprised that Lady Tears' vocals on the night passed muster with the voting public. I guess they just wanted that Swedish country itch scratched.

Isn’t that actually kind of promising?

That Crystal Ball account is very snarky and posted the other day that they were 'praying for a Swedish NQ', so I'd say begrudgingly mixed positive was the best we were ever going to get from them.

I was saying this just the other day! Though the Euphoria'd up version, not the original Melfest version
I love both but yes, agreed. In the same way the purist in me wants to love the original On and On but actually the UK remix has ended up being the winner all these years later

I do wish the original mix of Sober was on Spotify. They really butchered that one on the album.

It is honestly difficult to watch one of your faves fall victim to the Melfest churn in real time, and so quickly. As a fairly recent fan (started following in 2016), I came to Melfest at a point where it was fairly clear that the schlagerdivas had likely already had their peak and largely stepped back but at least their “decline” seemed to take longer.

With that said, we prob shouldn’t count out Wiktoria just yet. I think she could cut through again with something that reminds the Swedish public of why they liked her in the first place. This song is quite lovely in its own right but it doesn’t pop in quite the way that Mello tracks need to.

Weaker…than Statements?

80E9FC5C-F564-4E34-9CCF-C748FBF0EC1E.gif

Although I’d have preferred Wiki through in some capacity instead of Maria. If Never Give Up had been sung by anyone else it would have scraped 4th at the very best.

W impressed me in pulling Where Have You Been as far as she did. Had it been given to an average artist it would've been out in 6th or 7th.

Yesterday's Spotify rankings

#5 THEOZ
#12 Elov & Beny (S1)
#28 Tennessee Tears
#37 Uje Brandelius
#42 Wiktoria
#73 Victor Crone (S1)
#83 LouLou Lamotte (S1)
#90 Eden
#162 Rejhan (S1)

OUCH at Wiktoria debuting lower than Uje!

I was literally the only person in the thread who was enjoying it.
Incorrect. I had a great time. I particularly love when everyone says there's only one way the votes can go - and then it doesn't... almost every time.

Incorrect. I had a great time. I particularly love when everyone says there's only one way the votes can go - and then it doesn't... almost every time.
As I have said so often…are we the loons?

I think we know the answer.

Pretty plain that it's quite an uninspiring year, names-wise (much too reliance on recent Mello 'veterans' as opposed to genuinely big Swedish household names), and it's not like last week would have inspired much in the way of WORD OF MOUTH.

In fairness, isn’t it unseasonably warm in Sweden? I have Stockholm on my BBC weather app and it’s rarely dropped below zero and there’s been no snow. Surely that will mean less people hankering down and looking for hygge Saturday nights in.

And it might be a bit cwejbookofstats (and LORD KNOWS WE’VE HAD ENOUGH OF THAT IN THIS THREAD) but of my “Swedish family”, of the three households, only one watched this week and none the week before. Very unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom