Notre Dame ablaze

Oh fucking hell.

It only looks like it's in the roof at the moment.

:( INDEED. How absolutely dreadful. It looks like it’s going to burn to the ground

I'm glad I went in when I visited last year. what a building

The spire's gonna go. It's completely ablaze.

Apparently there's only one fire engine there.

I was watching The Hunchback of Notre Dame just the other day :(

It's astonishing to watch, but utterly heartbreaking.

Just seen footage of the spire collapsing. Pretty sure I've never seen a church spire collapse before.

“Oh lalala” in that video- even in misery, the French never stop being French...

Oh this is awful. :( I’m going there in a couple of weeks, apropos of nothing

:(

It's weirdly undramatic which I think is because of the lack of response from the (audible) crowd. If that had happened at a famous British cathedral such as, oooh, Salisbury, the reaction would have been much more vocal.

It's a tragedy and all that, but on a purely aesthetic level I'm not a huge fan of French gothic architecture.

Sad face

The front twin towers now look like they've been on fire to some extent for a while.

I heard someone was trying to charge their Samsung Galaxy Note 7 :(

Obviously it's awful but the scene of the spire falling into the fire is really dramatic and cool, it reminds me of when aliens lasered the White House and it exploded.

Watching French TV in my hotel room and it really is interesting- people hysterically crying, the presenters just dealing with the whole thing with open mouthed shock.

In terms SOLELY of the presentation (before anyone slags me off), I’ve not seen anything like this since 9/11...

It would literally be like St Paul's Catherdral burning down. I'll bet most the French are heartbroken.

I’m not sure I’d really care all that much if St Paul’s burnt down. I think I’d find it exciting rather than horribly upsetting, and I’m definitely in the latter camp of emotions regarding Notre Dame because a holy place should never be destroyed*. I was obviously a monk in a past life or some such. (*Obviously St Paul’s is my exception to the rule)

I would however be VERY pissed off and crawl around sobbing if the South Bank Centre went up in flames

I’m not sure I’d really care all that much if St Paul’s burnt down. I think I’d find it exciting rather than horribly upsetting, and I’m definitely in the latter camp of emotions regarding Notre Dame because a holy place should never be destroyed*. I was obviously a monk in a past life or some such. (*Obviously St Paul’s is my exception to the rule)

I would however be VERY pissed off and crawl around sobbing if the South Bank Centre went up in flames
Oh I'm no huge fan of St Paul's, I don't especially care for domes and prefer Westminster Abbey as far as the landmark London churches ago. However it is so iconic to the British.

As far as Cathedrals go, I'm very partial to Canterbury and Norwich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom