Saturday Night Live

Bowen Yang is the best addition to the show since the period before Kate McKinnon got massively over-exposed.

God I don't enjoy Kate McKinnon.

This is funny. Camp surrealism.

I just love Bowen, such a scene stealer. and Aristotle is kinda hot, why doesn't he get more screen time is beyond me

no joke when I saw the above screengrab I did think it was Katy Perry recycling her Witness wig.

Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Pete Davidson & Kyle Mooney's (who?) last show was last night

I was shocked to hear Kyle Mooney has been on the show for 9 years. He barely registered at all and every time I saw him I thought he must be a newbie.

McKinnon should have actually gone a while back. She was really great but not as good as she used to be. Davidson was just playing himself. He was always shit in sketches and was only great for his personal monologues and honesty in the Weekend Update segments.

Kyle has been a very reliable supporting member of the cast. he definitely registered although he wasn't A-list.

the cast has been too big for a while and I'm super happy Cecily didn't leave (or Melissa, who is criminally underused) but I'm really very sad about Aidy. she is such a fabulous comic talent and seems like the absolute loveliest human too. she had an incredible run though.

I teared up at the end of Trend Forecasters! (Bowen has made SNL so gay, I love it)

I honestly thought that sketch would become a staple (just like they played with my feelings by making me believe the ANGELO sketch would as well :evil: ).
I can see why Kate would leave, she's been doing side projects for years now but I don't think I've seen Aidy doing anything else as a side job? Unfortunately, I've never cared a lot for Kyle; I feel that he's always been eclipsed by other "stronger" cast members like Beck Bennett in the past and currently Alex, Chris, and Bowen (who literally eats every sketch he's in).

GOD I love Aidy so much and I hope Melissa and Cecily stay for another 2 seasons at least. Lately, I've been warming up to Andrew and Sarah a lot.

Last edited:
Shrill has finished now I think. it ran for 3 seasons and was excellent. totally worth checking out! she's a good actor and will get work I'm sure

several more cast members have been let go :o

Pete Davidson, Chris Redd, Melissa Villaseñor (a loss) and Alex Moffat who's also been super reliable. there'll be four new faces this season.

NYT chat with Lorne:

There’s turnover at “S.N.L.” every year, but losing eight cast members before a new season — that’s a lot, right?
Yes, but we were also at 23 or 24. We got to a point where we had a lot of people, and people weren’t getting enough playing time. The way the series has survived is by that level of renewal ... There’s a time to say goodbye and there’s a natural time for it, but the natural time just got interfered with by the pandemic.
So under normal circumstances, those departures would have happened more gradually?
We try to do the best with the cast that was there, and at the same time, my first responsibility is to keep the show fresh. Things grow stale. I don’t think we’d gotten stale, because the people we had were so gifted and at their peak.
If this is an opportunity for reinventing the show, what do you want its spirit to be?
What I want it to be is, there’s a reason to watch it live, because you don’t know what we’re going to do. Something big happened in the news, and you want to see how we’re going to deal with it and you know the people you’re hoping to see deal with it.
Do you pay attention to criticism from people who say they don’t feel represented by the show’s politics anymore? Is that something you try to take into account?
I won’t get into the party system, but there are lots of people that I get to meet and get to like. And when someone calls me after a show and says, “So-and-so was really hurt by what you did,” I go, Have they seen the show? That’s what we do, and that’s why I can’t be everyone’s friend ... the first priority can’t be not offending people you like or who are powerful. It’s the reverse. And if someone does something stupid, it would be glaring to not deal with it.
How did you approach casting the featured performers who are joining this season?
I think all four are fresh. They bring things we don’t have and they’re complementary to the people we already have. In people like Kate and Aidy, we had superstars, and it’s only because you got to know them over the years, and then they grew in stature. The new people could last for years.
You’ve also had new hires who stepped up pretty quickly, like James Austin Johnson, who was playing both Biden and Trump in his first season.
What I love about James’s Trump is, it’s the diminished Trump. It’s the guy at the back of the hardware store with a lot of opinions. He’s not this giant existential threat.
“Weekend Update,” with Colin Jost and Michael Che, will also remain intact?
Yes, particularly, coming into a midterm election, I just need that part to be as solid as it is.
“Saturday Night Live” is nearing its 50th anniversary ... when you hit a milestone like that, do you think of it as an opportunity to tip your hat and say goodbye?
I have no plans to retire. I’m not a big person for celebrating. Even the 40th [anniversary show], in the end, the only way I got through it was because I knew I was doing a show, and at a certain point, the credits would roll and we’d be off the air. The 50th will be a big event. We’ll bring everyone back from all 50 years and hosts and all of that. It will be a very emotional and very strong thing. There won’t be as many plus-ones, I can tell you that much.

I hope they've had a bit of turnover in the writer's room too, the last season was dreadful.

Excuse me but Bowen and Aidy were amazing last season and we got a great new (short-lived) character Angelo.

this was my other skit of the night

strong episode, Keke Palmer killed it

I'm really very sad.

her send-off sketch was beautiful. I really choked up. a genuine legend and my fave cast member ever.

Cecily was fabulous, I always preferred her to Kate McKinnon to be honest.

So many great sketches to choose from but I loved her in this one.

there were some other really fantastic skits this week, best episode in ages, and Austin Butler's monologue shamefully made me CRY. what a charming and lovely guy he seems to be.

Chloe as Jen Coolidge was a gag. can the real Jen host in the new year please?

Last edited:
This was the best episode in ages, I even thought it was shorter than usual, Aubrey is a DELIGHT.

he's everything. some really good sketches this weekend

the way they freeze and Trump's entrance line :D scream!

also co-worker who's extremely busy doing nothing is v relatable. Heidi Gardner is always on fire these days, especially on Update

also, very sexy Marcello Hernandez on short kings and that final punchline :D

the writing has shifted lately, it's getting much weirder and less broad - I'm here for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom