Steps - Something In Your Eyes

WILL IT BE NOW AND FOREVER?

• Total voters
I thought she would have got more than having to share her verse with the lads

Love her something in you eyes bit at the end though

That was amazing! Just what I needed to ping me out of bed and put a smile on my face.
ABBA-Tastic

Weirdly it sounds like an ABBA song and Jenny Silver’s version sounds like a Steps cover.

Yeah, there’s something odd about it that I can’t quite put my finger on. Quite possibly overfamiliarity with the original.

This is ‘classic Steps’ in a way that nothing else has been since before the split. Gays onboard, if it connects with 30/40+ women it could be a bit of a moment. Radio 2 had better rinse it.

That song is made for Faye, the first verse is perfect

As much as we love WTFH, “we’re a bit fucked aren’t we” maybe isn’t the message the hen party crowd wants from Steps. :side-eye:

SOMETHING IN UR EYES TO THE TOP!

Reactions: SDF
Im very CONFLICTED

I mean god bless the gay that made this happen

they don’t do much with it, do they?

but then again I realise that this is an incredible song anyway

Getting more A*Teens than ABBA tbh and I’m not sure if that’s for the best.

sort of love it, but with they’d put a bit more STANK on it (or whatever Americans say)

Reactions: D5K
I mean, about 2% of their audience will ever have heard the original, so I'm not sure how much they really NEEDED to do with it?

I might argue that the 2% ARE their actual audience (ie gays), the fact that it’s on Radio 2 is by the by.

anyway I listened to it on my tv and it sounded better than my shitty laptop speakers so that’s good

Im very CONFLICTED

I mean god bless the gay that made this happen

they don’t do much with it, do they?

but then again I realise that this is an incredible song anyway

Getting more A*Teens than ABBA tbh and I’m not sure if that’s for the best.

sort of love it, but with they’d put a bit more STANK on it (or whatever Americans say)

It's the vocals for me. Jenny Silver wasn't the best singer ever but by god she sold the FUCK out of it, and it radiated desperation and joy in equal amounts so much that the chorus hit you like a truck.

This version, so far, just doesn't. It's good...I just think I prefer the original.

They've actually slowed down the tempo a fair bit, haven't they?

It does lose a bit of the frantic energy of the original, but I think the Steps version is a better fit for daytime radio. Plus there will surely be a few :disco: remixes to come...

Love it when VoR talks music theory. :disco:

It’s not slower, they’ve just replaced the frantic beat of the original with a more meandering one. Deliberately I’d imagine, as it does make it more ABBA sounding.

It's the vocals for me. Jenny Silver wasn't the best singer ever but by god she sold the FUCK out of it, and it radiated desperation and joy in equal amounts so much that the chorus hit you like a truck.

this is the strongest case made for it to be an LSL lead vocal

actually wish there was more Claire honking

YES YES YES YES YES for this FINALLY getting a recording with production that doesn't sound like a DEMO IN A SHED

QUEENS!

That'll teach you to QUESTION ME :evil:

I wouldn’t say it was slowed down a “fair bit” though. :D Every 16 bars Jenny is 0.5 seconds faster? Not that noticeable really.

I wouldn’t say it was slowed down a “fair bit” though. :D Every 16 bars Jenny is 0.5 seconds faster? Not that noticeable really.
I am sorry but this VITAL KNOWLEDGE has been learned through many years figuring out how to nail the eye choreography in the shower without slipping so don't give ME "not that noticeable" when it could be the difference between GLORY AND A SNAPPED NECK

I am sorry but this VITAL KNOWLEDGE has been learned through many years figuring out how to nail the eye choreography in the shower without slipping so don't give ME "not that noticeable" when it could be the difference between GLORY AND A SNAPPED NECK

stick to the Jenny version, you’ll save the planet (and your water bills) with those precious three seconds x

Were you at all familiar with the original?

Obviously it's generally ABBA-tastic, but specifically it's very 'As Good As New', isn't it?

No, other than playing it once when someone posted the link.

I'm getting As Good As New in the verses, but the chorus feels more Steps than Abba.

I'm in charge of the speaker in the office today, so I shall feel out how the middle-aged, straight South African males feel about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom