Veganism is a protected philosophical belief

I hope QUEEN FAYE won't be SULLYING HERSELF by passing comment

I love watermelon and I like tuna so despite being a dirty meat eater I'd take the plunge quite happily if I was as rich as Claire. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I somehow suspect Wagamama will be thanking Claire for this HOT PROMO

I looked it up and it looks fab, i will definitely be trying it.

In other vegan news I just had a plant steak which bled like a real one. Not my thing. :zsazsa:

Claire keeps calling out the £12.95 price tag :D

Didn’t she flog literally ALL her Steps memorabilia on ebay at some point :D Clearly her legacy is JUST A JOB for Clara :disco:

You can just tell she voted Brexit.

Tragedy
When the tuna's vegan and for no good reason
It's tragedy
It costs 12.95 and you have no life
It's hard to bear
With no meat to feed you
You tweet in despair

Tragedy
When they've got no trout so you can't eat out
It's tragedy
The watermelon fries and you don't know why
It's hard to bear
You tweet Piers Morgan
'Cause life isn't fair

...k, I'll get my coat.

Tragedy
When the tuna's vegan and for no good reason
It's tragedy
It costs 12.95 and you have no life
It's hard to bear
With no meat to feed you
You tweet in despair

Tragedy
When they've got no trout so you can't eat out
It's tragedy
The watermelon fries and you don't know why
It's hard to bear
You tweet Piers Morgan
'Cause life isn't fair

...k, I'll get my coat.

This has cheered me right up! :D

Oh Claire :D

The whole vegan, vegetarian thing...each to their own. Life and let live, so long as no one gets on a high horse I couldn’t really care less.

This topic keeps on giving :D

She's HOURS away from sobbing in a dressing gown on Good Morning Britain.

Still probably a better day for the band's PR team than the day Ian Watkins was outed as a nonce.

To be fair to steps girl, a friend of mine had vegan egg in wagamamas and was fucking livid. I'm not sure why but frankly these things don't need to be called their meat/veg equivalents.

Oh this really is the big news of the day

Saw this online!

C889-A0-A5-71-B8-4-CA0-8288-B2297-AF4-B3-A7.jpg

Almond milk is vastly damaging to the planet, consumes enormous quantities of water in places like California (80% of the world's almonds are produced there) where there isn't exactly much TO GO AROUND, and is wiping out the planet's bee population at dangerous speeds. There really isn't any reason to drink it over oat (better for the planet) or soy (far tastier).

Ugh. I hate soy milk. Fuck...gonna have to look at oat again. Cheers for the heads up.

Almond milk is vastly damaging to the planet, consumes enormous quantities of water in places like California (80% of the world's almonds are produced there) where there isn't exactly much TO GO AROUND, and is wiping out the planet's bee population at dangerous speeds. There really isn't any reason to drink it over oat (better for the planet) or soy (far tastier).

Missed this in all the Claire excitement :D

Can't speak to the water issue at the moment (e.g. is it worse than the water used to give to cows to produce traditional milk?) but I'm sceptical of the editorialised headlines these newspapers put out. How I read it is this: Over-intensive practices in the California Central Valley is causing losses in their bee colonies (reasons including the use of monocultures in the valley instead of more bee-friendly biodiverse farming; trying to do everything in one place increasing the spread of disease; and overreliance on pesticides that weaken bee immune systems). This is naturally having an impact on the grand total for bee population, which is simplified to "we're wiping out the planet's bees". This is then fed through the 'blame Joe and Jane Bloggs and cause them to panic' editorial filter and becomes "the deadly truth behind that almond milk you're obsessed with" and "you're sending bees to war" (which undoubtedly the STOP FUCKING HATE will convert to something like "vegans are destroying the planet")

So I'm not sure the problem in itself is our consumption of almond milk, but rather, that 80% of it comes from one place (that's insane! Ever hear of keeping all your eggs in one basket?) and typical American greed where they're trying to maximize production in one space as cheaply as possible and "they're only bees" so screw the consequences. As they say, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and I suspect there'd be similar problems with oat milk if the focus is on intensive production with no thought for impact.

I'm not trying to outright deny it because frankly, I think you need to really know what you're talking about and haven't done nearly enough research. Back when proper journalism was a thing, it was the job of the papers to do the research, consult decent, trusted experts and report their findings in an honest manner. But nowadays they all have a narrative and work it backwards from there, and of course alarming headlines sell papers as well. The onus is now on us readers to do the research to find the nuggets of truth in what the papers are trotting out which is a lot more difficult. Just saying I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom