Star Trek: Discovery

I really enjoyed s3 episode 2! It had quite a traditional Star Trek feel to it. Georgiou really kicks ass but the trouble with that is that she is making Saru seem quite dull. As always I can do without the gays who are superfluous.

I thought Michael would have been looking for the crew for more than a year, the way they built it up. I wanted a Voyager style 75-year journey!

Reactions: dUb
I'm not enjoying it much so far... still just an ok sci-fi/action series for me that I would probably ditch if it wasn't Star Trek. Where are the IDEAS and ethical QUANDARIES that tell us something about HUMANITY and form the basis of the best science fiction?

I really enjoyed s3 episode 2! It had quite a traditional Star Trek feel to it. Georgiou really kicks ass but the trouble with that is that she is making Saru seem quite dull. As always I can do without the gays who are superfluous.

I thought Michael would have been looking for the crew for more than a year, the way they built it up. I wanted a Voyager style 75-year journey!
Yes the "I've been looking for you for a LONG TIME - A YEAR!" line ended up sounding quite funny. :D

At least they actually HAVE some gay characters now after being missing for the rest of Trek. They just need to be less O'Briens-style "hello yes our personality is 'a couple'... no that's it"

What IS up with Detmer? I wondered if Control is still around and somehow infected her via her implant... I'd like it if Control comes back every season and they just keep going further and further into the future to escape it :eyes:

I can't remember what Detmer's issue is. I feel like someone did something to her eye like put in a spy cam?

What IS up with Detmer? I wondered if Control is still around and somehow infected her via her implant... I'd like it if Control comes back every season and they just keep going further and further into the future to escape it :eyes:

Great minds

I'm not enjoying it much so far... still just an ok sci-fi/action series for me that I would probably ditch if it wasn't Star Trek. Where are the IDEAS and ethical QUANDARIES that tell us something about HUMANITY and form the basis of the best science fiction?
I get this, I think modern Trek is just going to have less of that going forward sadly, at least while they're so wedded to the current style of serialised storytelling. There was a bit of SOMETHING this week with the conflict between Saru and Georgiou, and there's potential in exploring her cutting loose in a lawless galaxy... I'm cautiously optimistic about where they'll go with that.

I did like that they recast Airiam for season two, then as soon as she died she was replaced by the season one actress as a new character - they must have loved having her around on set :D

What are the best Star Trek shows to watch?

(That are available on Netflix and a standard Sky package obviously)

Bippity boppity boop, this host of After Trek needs to settle down. I just want to hear experts calmly dissect the show please. I can see why there is no season 2.

What are the best Star Trek shows to watch?

(That are available on Netflix and a standard Sky package obviously)
Deep Space Nine is my favourite and is considered by many to be the ‘best’, although The Next Generation and Voyager are more popular with the masses overall.

DS9 pioneered the serialised TV that’s so prolific these days. Whereas the TNG and VOY crews usually dealt with a problem on a planet somewhere and then pissed off, being on a station meant DS9 had to deal more with the consequences of actions and the murkier side of 24th century life. TNG and to a lesser extent VOY have some excellent standalone episodes though.

DS9 takes a couple of seasons to really get going and the seasons being 20+ episodes long means it’ll take a while, but it’s worth it. Otherwise I’d say check out some ‘best of’ lists for all three series to get a taste of what they had to offer. Bear in mind that anything after say season 5 of DS9 is likely to be part of the larger overall storyline and tricker to understand.

But if you’ve got the time, binge them all. :disco:

Last edited:
An' I oop! Have to say that Deep Space 9 is by far my least favourite! I find it static and dull.

The Next Generation, I'd argue, is generally considered the best, although there are still hardcore stans of the original series. They've both dated, but the original series is much more dated than TNG, for obvious reasons, which makes it a bit less enjoyable for me. The characters in TNG are first class and the storylines are a perfect mix of action and comment on society. Like DS9, give the first couple of series a miss if you want to get into it quickly (it only gets into its stride from series 3).

My personal favourite is Voyager, partly because I really lived through that one, and partly because I love the characters and stories. It can veer into cheesy but Janeway is such a great strong female lead and there's some great storylines in there.

The less said about Enterprise, the better.

Also a DS9 stan here (for me it's one of the greatest TV series ever, never mind Star Trek), but definitely do TNG first - it's best to have the world and situation set up before watching the series that subverts it all :tongueout:

Be sure to check out the episode Threshold for the best Voyager has to offer, sorby :side-eye:

Reactions: COB
They never looked better!
Tom-Paris-Kathryn-Janeway-Lizard-Threshold-Star-Trek-Voyager.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom