Taylor Swift - 1989

I am liking the album and it's the easiest listen of 2014 for me. Everything has a really instant, accessible hook about it which I suppose is the point of it being her first proper 'pop' album. I do agree with Slave, though, that I think overtly losing the "country" tag, even if it was mostly superficial to begin with, makes her a little more faceless. And I also agree with whomever said "Shake It Off" sticks out like a sore thumb. It does seem to lack an obvious 10/10 moment too which the second through fourth albums most certainly had upon first listen.

07 Welcome to New York
08 Blank Space
08 Style
09 Out of the Woods
08 All You Had to Do Was Stay
09 Shake It Off
07 I Wish You Would
06 Bad Blood
06 Wildest Dreams
07 How You Get the Girl
08 This Love
07 I Know Places
06 Clean
06 Wonderland
07 You Are in Love
09 New Romantics

I must be really off radar with the Moopy zeitgeist these days. Am I the only one here that finds this girl really annoying? That "Shake it Off" song is one of the worst songs I've heard in ages. Curiously she seems to be going from strength to strength. I'd have thought the bubble would have burst by the end of the previous album campaign.

I adore "all you had to do was stay" (STAY!)

Last edited:
Wildest Dreams is fucking phenomenal! It sounds like a lost Born to Die cut, which is of course v high praise.

Welcome To New York is a WONDER

Makes me feel 20y.o. all over again. I listen to it while walk around the big buildings in the city while wearing white and carrying my big old dad's guitar on my shoulder putting on my best Taylor Swift face LIKE THIS in AWE when in reality all I'm thinking is which Jonas Brother I'm gonna fuck next :disco:

Last edited:
...putting on my best Taylor Swift face LIKE THIS

dynamic_resize

I love you really Pipo.

I've got a blank space, baby, and I'll write your name.

dynamic_resize

how much filler can the most anticipated album of the year HAVE? fucking hell.

Wlecome To NEw York, Style, Out Of The Woods and Wildest Dreams are all 10/10 moments though.

omg the bonus tracks are really something else, what is WRONG with this woman(and with Max Martin as well) CLUELESS doesn't begin to cover it

Last edited:
"New Romantics" is really one of the most joyous things that she's ever done.

WAH OOH OOH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! :disco:

1. The Imogen Heap was, as expected, excellent
2. Tracks 2-7 (bar Shake it off) all sound like awful remixes of "22"; filler city and all blend into one (perhaps, except Style maybe) , Max Martin really needs to take some time off
3. The Ryan Tedder/Antonoff tracks are great, sounds like they tried to Elli Goulding-ize her ´Murica style
4. I bet the singles released will be SHIT and will only be the Martin/Shellback tracks :manson:
5. There's no All Too Well, maybe wildest dreams and You Are In Love could be the closes things resembling it. There's no drama in this album :(

Well this album is very basic indeed. Reminds me of Katy Perry's Prism.

But who cares when she's just penned the record of the 00's with Out of the Woods?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The Imogen Heap was, as expected, excellent
2. Tracks 2-7 (bar Shake it off) all sound like awful remixes of "22"; filler city and all blend into one (perhaps, except Style maybe) , Max Martin really needs to take some time off
3. The Ryan Tedder/Antonoff tracks are great, sounds like they tried to Elli Goulding-ize her ´Murica style
4. I bet the singles released will be SHIT and will only be the Martin/Shellback tracks :manson:
5. There's no All Too Well, maybe wildest dreams and You Are In Love could be the closes things resembling it. There's no drama in this album :(

Give it time Pipo. I remember everyone 6/10ing All Too Well at first and yet now it's widely regarded as the song of the millennium.

I agree though, I haven't gotten to listen to this album properly yet but I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find a really fabulous dramatic ballad upon first run through.

Last edited:
taylor pre-1989 dramatic break up ballad top 5:

1. All Too Well
2. Dear John
3. Last Kiss
4. Back to December
5. Come in with the Rain / I Almost Do

Last edited:
Estimated to open with more than 1 million in the US and apparently it sold 47k in the UK already.

That would be the first artist album to sell over a million in the US this year wouldn't it?

She probably would've done it anyway, but tellingly she's not on Spotify...

She probably would've done it anyway, but tellingly she's not on Spotify...

She generally doesn't allow her material onto Spotify until a few weeks after the official release. Whether that's detrimental to the interest, I do not know...

That would be the first artist album to sell over a million in the US this year wouldn't it?

And she might do it in a week!

I think there were a few caveats in there to make the stats sound more dramatic though, like "nothing released in 2013" (because there nearly was one or two) and only artist studio albums (presumably because Frozen might have sold 1M)

Ooh I found it, Frozen has sold more than 1M this year. But for some reason that doesn't count to the journalist :rolleyes:

cause Frozen is from 2013 but it sold well over a million in the first quarter of 2014?

Welcome To New York is the best album opener since Marry The Night. :disco: WELCOME TO NUYOK, WELCOME NUYOK! I haven't wanted to visit NuYok this much since Madge's I Love New York.

T-Swizzle just saved the pop music industry and it's fine if 27(+) Y.O queens "don't get it."

Blank Space is amazing.

It's like Lorde but actually listenable.

It's an odd fit for her quite unskilled sounding voice on it, but Shake It Off is really doing it for me lately. Not to the extent I've ventured onto the album, but one step at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom