Taylor Swift - Midnights (new album out Oct. 21)

Every time I listen to 'High Infidelity' I find myself wondering which slur she's saying with her wound open.

High Infidelity is top tier Taylor, it shouldn't be a bonus!

but then again right where you left me is her best song of all-time after All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) (From Taylor Swift's Taylor's Version of the Red Studio Album)

5 weeks update!

09 Lavender Haze +1
11 Maroon =
10 Anti-Hero =
09 Snow on the Beach =
10 You're on Your Own, Kid =
10 Midnight Rain featuring James Charles +2
10 Question...? +1
08 Vigilante Shit =
07 Bejeweled =
06 Labyrinth =
08 Karma =
07 Sweet Nothing =
08 Mastermind =

10 The Great War +2
09 Bigger Than the Whole Sky +2
08 Paris +1
09 High Infidelity +2
08 Glitch +1
10 Would've Could've Should've +10
10 Dear Reader +2

09 Hits Different =

95 evermore
93 folklore
90 Red TV
89 reputation
88 Midnights +6
88 1989
80 Lover
70 Fearless TV
67 Speak Now
61 Taylor Swift

AND WHAT ABOUT IT, BESTIES?

cut out the weaker links: Sweet Nothing, Labyrinth and (I'm so sorry, @POP!) Bejeweled, and you have a strong 92 and her 3rd best record after folklore and evermore. that's a REAAL fucking LEGACY.. to leave!

i wanna see your UPDATED ratings, queens! feel free to use the joanne albums rating system for all Swift intents and purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we think Speak Now will be next?

because of this easter egg in the Bejeweled music video.

sub-buzz-650-1666707862-21.jpg

it's truly fascinating how both Taylor and Madonna are vocally nowhere near their peers (Mariah, Whitney, Celine - Ariana, Adele, Beyonce) yet their craft, creativity, work ethic and song-writing has made them surpass their peers ever so effortlessly. Taylor being a more special case because she has horrible coordination and is a tall dork. :disco: and I'm a MONSTER on the hill! INDEED

I guess more people are impressed with strong songwriting, creativity in presentation and a bit of variety.

Being able to sing isn't impressive in itself to me. It's a bit like heavy metal guitarists playing 60 notes per second. Aye, good for you, sounds shite though.

From ATRL:

Taylor's career is following Madonna's down to a T​

Madonna = Taylor Swift (cute self-titled mixtape with a couple of cute hits, becomes huge in the long-run)

"Like a Virgin = Fearless (huge breakout smash Diamond-certified album with iconic hits on it)

True Blue = Speak Now (continues her success and solidifies her fanbase as one of the top female artists of the day)

Like a Prayer = Red (expands her sound while continuing her success, considered her best album by most critics)

"Vogue"/'The Immaculate Collection'/'Truth or Dare'/Blond Ambition Tour period = 1989 (the period of her absolute peak, the undisputed reigning Queen of Pop, HBIC of the entertainment industry, smash after smash)

Erotica = Reputation (following a period of intense backlash, icier sound mixed with deeply personal lyrics, confrontational public image, a decline from her prior peak)

Bedtime Stories = Lover (pivots from the last record with safer, warmer sound and image, trend-chasing producers i.e. Babyface for Madonna and Louis Bell for Taylor, produces one of her most memorable hit ballads i.e. "Take a Bow" for M and "Lover" for Taylor)

Ray of Light = Folklore + Evermore (radical departure in sound from her previous work drawing from more underground producers and genres i.e. Orbit for Madonna and Dessner for Taylor, esoteric and pensive lyrics, more subdued, ambient sound, largely considered her most ambitious album and acclaimed by critics, gets her a lot more respect from the public and expands her audience, total image reinvention, quickly produces copycats as the producer she chose become mainstream i.e. everyone started working with William Orbit after ROL, now everyone is working with Aaron Dessner when before Folklore zero bodies were checking for him)

Music = Midnights (the album that capitalizes on the previous respect gained from the last LP with a more mainstream-friendly sound, her highest first week sales ever, lead single is a huge global #1 smash and her biggest hit in almost a decade, this is the era during which she truly now feels like the QUEEN OF POP, highly respected by all and her success, longevity and ability to reinvent are now undeniable)"

Thoughts?

From ATRL:

Because of the way the title cuts off, I really thought it was going to be Taylor's career is following Madonna's downhill

From ATRL:

Taylor's career is following Madonna's down to a T​

Madonna = Taylor Swift (cute self-titled mixtape with a couple of cute hits, becomes huge in the long-run)

"Like a Virgin = Fearless (huge breakout smash Diamond-certified album with iconic hits on it)

True Blue = Speak Now (continues her success and solidifies her fanbase as one of the top female artists of the day)

Like a Prayer = Red (expands her sound while continuing her success, considered her best album by most critics)

"Vogue"/'The Immaculate Collection'/'Truth or Dare'/Blond Ambition Tour period = 1989 (the period of her absolute peak, the undisputed reigning Queen of Pop, HBIC of the entertainment industry, smash after smash)

Erotica = Reputation (following a period of intense backlash, icier sound mixed with deeply personal lyrics, confrontational public image, a decline from her prior peak)

Bedtime Stories = Lover (pivots from the last record with safer, warmer sound and image, trend-chasing producers i.e. Babyface for Madonna and Louis Bell for Taylor, produces one of her most memorable hit ballads i.e. "Take a Bow" for M and "Lover" for Taylor)

Ray of Light = Folklore + Evermore (radical departure in sound from her previous work drawing from more underground producers and genres i.e. Orbit for Madonna and Dessner for Taylor, esoteric and pensive lyrics, more subdued, ambient sound, largely considered her most ambitious album and acclaimed by critics, gets her a lot more respect from the public and expands her audience, total image reinvention, quickly produces copycats as the producer she chose become mainstream i.e. everyone started working with William Orbit after ROL, now everyone is working with Aaron Dessner when before Folklore zero bodies were checking for him)

Music = Midnights (the album that capitalizes on the previous respect gained from the last LP with a more mainstream-friendly sound, her highest first week sales ever, lead single is a huge global #1 smash and her biggest hit in almost a decade, this is the era during which she truly now feels like the QUEEN OF POP, highly respected by all and her success, longevity and ability to reinvent are now undeniable)"

Thoughts?

Thoughts:
:wow:
I just wish I liked listening to her more. Her American Life is NOT going to be as iconic

If she does the next Bond song in a few years then the author is a witch

why do power bottoms always have to compare dominant female pop stars? truly distasteful anyway here comes joanne's Version of it :disco:

that ATRL thread is a reach in many ways. Taylor never really took the far end controversial decisions that Madge has. there's a reason Tay's comeback from her "controversial downfall" opened with 1.2 million copies while Madge's barely 160k. as a consequence of Taylor never being a risk taker she has, unlike Madge, never had a flop era. Lover, her biggest "flop" has 5 billion streams, whilst Madge took a real hit with Erotica and Bedtime. folklore and evermore were never really risks either. the bitch knew what she was doing. she is a brilliant songwriter. had they underperformed nobody could've legitimately dragged her for random folksy pandemic releases. she could have taken a risk with Midnights and released a soft rock record, which Swifties have been yearning for since the 1989 Tour's rendition of We Are Never Getting Back Together yet she paid them dust and decided to continue being vanilla and therefore the most successful artist of the century. the only real risks she's really taken, since going pop and battling Spotify, is the rerecords, but even then no one could drag her if they flopped. she is a smart businesswoman. Madonna isn't. just look at her TikTok, gay men's live Paranormal Activity coming into live form on our smartphones.

i'm actually about to..

Madonna vs Taylor Swift
Like a Virgin vs Fearless
True Blue vs Speak Now
Like a Prayer vs Red
I'm Breathless vs 1989
Erotica vs Reputation
Bedtime Stories
vs Lover
Ray of Light vs Folklore
Music vs Evermore
American Life vs Midnights

EDIT: the prior rating was a mess

Last edited:
Madonna vs Taylor Swift
True Blue vs Speak Now
Like a Prayer vs Red
Vogue vs 1989 - Am I comparing a song to an album? I like Vogue more than anything on 1989, but still...?
Erotica vs Reputation
Bedtime Stories vs Lover - This was really difficult
Ray of Light vs Folklore
Music vs Evermore
COAD vs Midnights - no American Life?

that ATRL thread is a reach in many ways. Taylor never really took the far end controversial decisions that Madge has. there's a reason Tay's comeback from her "controversial downfall" opened with 1.2 million copies while Madge's barely 160k. as a consequence of Taylor never being a risk taker she has, unlike Madge, never had a flop era.

Yeah Madonna might have got her rat out, raised awareness of the AIDS crisis, and been excommunicated by the Pope, but Taylor was excommunicated by the Kardashians, and dedicated an entire album cycle to raising awareness of how unfair people were being to her, specifically. It's like, a women's rights issue.

she is a smart businesswoman. Madonna isn't. just look at her TikTok, gay men's live Paranormal Activity coming into live form on our smartphones.
Madonna was a smart businesswoman.
And she's in her 60s and wants to let go a bit. What's so wrong with that.

Madonna vs Taylor Swift
True Blue vs Speak Now
Like a Prayer vs Red
Vogue vs 1989 - Am I comparing a song to an album? I like Vogue more than anything on 1989, but still...?
Erotica vs Reputation
Bedtime Stories vs Lover - This was really difficult
Ray of Light vs Folklore
Music vs Evermore
COAD vs Midnights - no American Life?

fuck, i fixed the faults... i only ever used Vogue from Breathless. :side-eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom