Madonna - Ray Of Light

ANNA FRIEL...

• Total voters
Better than Like A Prayer for me! I still love it and it's just PERFECT. Candy Perfume Girl is definitely the nadir but it's still more than tolerable.

Some really shocking comments and rates in here. Everyone who rates the greatest album of all time less than 11 is dead to me!
Innit just. Drowned world DULL? To have and not to hold DULL? Off with their heads! :evil:

Although someone seems to already have done the job because this thread is like a necropolis of former posters.

Loved it at the time less so now but like it a lot. It was the perfect record for her at the time.

Loved it at the time less so now but like it a lot. It was the perfect record for her at the time.

It was an amazing period to be a fan of hers, and I'd say immeasurably more so if you'd followed her from the imperial period through the (relative) fall from commercial grace through her period of going very adult contemporary with Something To Remember and Evita. That she then pulled THIS out of the bag, just as she was about to hit forty - and get the best reviews of her career, massive commercial success and connect with a whole new audience felt nothing short of vindication.

Last edited:
It was an amazing period to be a fan of hers, and I'd say immeasurably more so if you'd followed her from the imperial period through the (relative) fall from commercial grace through her period of going very adult contemporary with Something To Remember and Evita. That she then pulled THIS out of the bag, just as she was about to hit forty - and get the best reviews of her career, massive commercial success and connect with a whole new audience felt nothing short of vindication.
Agree totally, and for me she has released the perfect album for her at 3 times in her career. I'm not saying they are necessarily her best but Like A Prayer, Ray of Light and Confessions On A Dancefloor were exactly how she needed to sound for herself and her audience at the times.

Last edited:
I still maintain that Drowned World is DRAB. But I agree with the sentiment that the album was timely as fuck. I was utterly absorbed with it at the time.

haven't heard this in ages. it used to be one of my very favourite albums ever and definitely my favourite by madonna.

I got shown this performance recently and completely GAVE IN to the POWER of the queen. How I'd never seen it before I DO NOT KNOW. The vocals and energy are completely next level. I don't even think I've seen it discussed online before.

Weirdly enough I re-watched that same perf a couple days ago. It's truly exuberant. "Ray of Light" is her best uptempo post-"Vogue"- THERE I SAID IT

"Get Together", "Hung Up" are both a hair behind. Generally my favorite moments from her 90s and beyond are down to mid tempo.

10 Drowned World/Substitute For Love
10 Swim
09 Ray Of Light
08 Candy Perfume Girl
07 Skin
10 Nothing Really Matters
10 Sky Fits Heaven
07 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
09 To Have And Not To Hold
08 Little Star
07 Mer Girl

Yes it's THAT GOOD

the LOON rates in this thread are :disco:

update

10 Swim
08 Ray Of Light
09 Candy Perfume Girl
08 Skin
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
09 Little Star
07 Mer Girl

Last edited:
24 years old TODAY :disco:
I barely go back to M these days but that's gotta be worth a stream :disco:

08 Swim
11 Ray Of Light
09 Candy Perfume Girl
10 Skin
08 Nothing Really Matters
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
09 The Power Of Goodbye
07 To Have And Not To Hold
08 Little Star
07 Mer Girl

11 Drowned World/Substitute For Love
08 Swim
09 Ray Of Light
07 Candy Perfume Girl
08 Skin
09 Nothing Really Matters
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
10 To Have And Not To Hold
10 Little Star
10 Mer Girl

Oh YES :disco:

11 Drowned World/Substitute For Love
10 Swim
10 Ray Of Light
08 Candy Perfume Girl
10 Skin
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
10 To Have And Not To Hold
08 Little Star
09 Mer Girl

Fabulous album of course, I’ll give it and Cyndi Lauper’s ‘Sisters of Avalon’ a play later. They make a nice companion set from roughly the same era, this is not a comparison post, they’re both very different albums but with some similar vibes.

Genuinely one of the best albums of all time.

It was such a false dawn for how gracefully Madge would mature. It was so so disappointing beyond words how she thought the best way to follow this majesty up was to straddle Ali G.

That Ray of Oprah performance is pure euphoria. 1998 was such a strong year for albums and it really does take my breath away how great this album is. Before it came out, Little Star and in particular Sky Fits Heaven (with a chorus that still paralyzes me) were both played on radio 1. I still remember jumping up and down in the kitchen when Frozen was #1 on the Sunday countdown (I want to say it was 3-7pm - it was pretty much the peak of the week quite frankly).

I love it, not all of it but most of it. The Power of Goodbye is incredible and either my favourite or second favourite single by her ever

Skin and Sky Fits Heaven are two I always go back to, both gorgeous

Obviously fuck all of interest around it happening either. THANKS MADGE.

25 today.

Outrageous, really. I still think of it as modern :D
I still remember those radio snippets on the Sunday before being a major moment.

I strangely can't remember where I bought the CD though, unlike others around that era.

I can't remember where I bought it exactly, but I was in my second year of university in Bristol and I remember bunking off unil and coming home to play it, looking out over the allotments that our second year house backed onto.

11 Swim
10 Ray Of Light
09 Candy Perfume Girl
10 Skin
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
08 Little Star
10 Mer Girl

I mean, REALLY.

11 Swim
10 Ray Of Light
09 Candy Perfume Girl
10 Skin
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
10 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
08 Little Star
10 Mer Girl

I mean, REALLY.

I thought I was the only one who rated Swim that highly.

10 Swim
09 Ray Of Light
10 Candy Perfume Girl
09 Skin
10 Sky Fits Heaven
08 Shangi/Ashtangi
11 Frozen
10 The Power Of Goodbye
08 Little Star