Madonna Survivor: The 90s (Round 1)

VOTE TO ELIMINATE (up to 10)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
90s Madonna is the best Madonna, but I think Into The Groove tops everything here

I do think that Rescue Me is the peak of Madonna Melodie. Nobody could ever describe the “Your love has given me hope” line as FLAT AND DULL :)

:tongueout: HATE IT SO MUCH ESPECIALLY THE CHORUS WOULD RATHER DIE
Before the voodoo curses and death threats start, I hasten to add that that sound is the sort of toss I used to force myself to like AND SPEND MONEY ON so my “best friend” of the time would approve of me, when I should more authentically have been listening to techno. So Deeper And Deeper can suck my Roland and offer me a refund :)

Deeper and Deeper is so good it hurts. Criminally overlooked at the height of the Madonna backlash.

I also never worked out what they edited out of the video on MTV that meant they faded it out early.

Add me to the 90s club being her best. Bad Girl, Rain, Deeper, I’ll Remember, You’ll See, Playground..and then the impeccable 98-99 period. Good GRIEF

But @Christian voting You’ll See is not on :oi:

• Love
Reactions: RJN
I feel it's quite threatening.

You say that i can't live without your love?
You'll see!
voodoo influencer GIF

It’s marvellous and I heard it and saw the video on the same day that I met the first guy I ever fell in love with, so it was a sign.

But then he wasn’t interested so it was a false sign but it stayed with me, and last summer twenty something years later he asked me out.

If you’d been smart then you’d have run away

(The lyric loses something with the past perfect tense, I guess :bruised: )

Add me to the 90s club being her best. Bad Girl, Rain, Deeper, I’ll Remember, You’ll See, Playground..and then the impeccable 98-99 period. Good GRIEF

But @Christian voting You’ll See is not on :oi:
:D

A choice had to be made. It's fine but not one I'd ever choose to play, so that made the decision for me. It's too overwrought and needy!

I totally get the victim/neediness angle.The lyric is all about centring the other person. I think the vocal conviction (and in that respect I think she's only rarely performed better) elevates it, though.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I remember working with a woman a few years older than me who I've long since lost touch with, but this very much was her FUCK YOU song after splitting with her husband of over a decade. So I think it did/does resonate with some - but I'm not sure resonating with early middle aged women was something we'd particularly seen from Madonna before, was it?

You’ll See is all about the bitter, defiant “hmm” and short fade-out.
It's the third verse for me - particularly 'I have truth on my side, you only have deceit'.

For quite a few years it was probably in my top 10 or even 5. I imagine it would be lower end top 20 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom