Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)

I'm a few songs in and everything sounds exactly the same to me? Like I genuinely can't tell what's different. One for the superfans maybe!

Me this morning:
1000029506.png

Yeah, my friend just messaged me saying “omg How You Get The Girl is soooo different!”

And I was like sure :)

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
This is interesting as it's the first TV that I really had/ enjoyed the album first time round for. I've only listened to Blank Space, but it just feels a bit, well, EMPTY (I can see the irony there) and I can't put my finger on why. I feel like it's, as was said, just a bit DEAD vocally...

Just remembered that the best song on this already got a "TV" a few years ago! Oh well :)

Welcome to New York - quite a big fave of mine and I feel they've done a good job. the new intro threw me a touch but overall not bad.
Blank Space - honestly I think this is better than the original. the new production is subtle but really elevates it and vocally it's almost identical except the last line of the chorus.
Style - WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS HONEY :D
Out of the Woods - quite a few new flourishes... I'll need to live with it. I think they have kept the power of the original middle 8 but the last chorus sags a bit now.

All you had to do was... what?
All you had to do was... didn't catch that beb
All you had to do was... one more time for the girlies in the back?

I don't know what happened to the "STAY!" on this song, she's lost somewhere. but otherwise I think the production has had a major glow up and that chorus glistens and shimmers with much more power than the original had.

I'm convulsing on the floor in horror. Taylor, in her pink sequined dress, stands over me, clutching two pom poms and wearing a dastardly grin. I ask her if she feels any remorse for her war crimes. "shake it off, cunt", she says. then she slaps somebody's baby and disappears into the night.

Ok I love the new Style. She’s made the riff much less annoying, it’s very 80s sounding :disco:

getting to This Love is a relief. they fucking killed it for this one, definitely better than the original.

What is that note on Bad Blood? :D Channeling Sarah Harding’s bum note (we love you Sarah)

“You and iiiiiIiiiIiIIiIiiii…”

Clean is a smash. these days my favourite song on 1989, and it's survived here really well. I guess you just can't fuck up a song THAT GOOD.

New Romantics is also excellently done. definitely a mixed bag of a project with the TVs. onto the vault tracks now...

Is It Over Now? is an absolute TRIUMPH and the best song from this project.

This should be the single.

Now That We Don't Talk and Suburban Legends sound AI generated. she needs to break this cycle with Jack. I'm sure these songs are Midnights rejects.

tick tock
on the clock
I pace
down your block

girl. thanks for giving us this clunker TWICE!

Like always, I find these to be close enough to the originals that I don't really care for one over another (except I Knew You Were Trouble) but this is reminding me how much I liked the original album

Welcome To New York, Style, Out of the Woods, Wildest Dreams, New Romantics are all GREAT, plus most of the the singles and so many other good album tracks

Oh, I fully expect her to bog off for a bit after 2024 - she'll finish the TVs, do one more new album and then vanish for a while.

• Love
Reactions: dUb
I have the "Aquamarine Green" CD edition. It was the one I liked the most in the store. "COLLECT ALL 4 SPECIAL EDITIONS". Nah, you're alright hen, this'll do.

What's with the sounds of a walrus being punched during the breakdown of Shake It Off? Was that always there?

There's something weird about the new Bad Blood. Can't place exactly what, it might just be an Uncanny Valley thing.

I was streaming the album a fair bit when she announced it was getting re-recorded and now I'm kind of OVER IT and have no interest in streaming this. Sorry to Taylor for giving all my streams to greedy venture capitalists (that aren't her).

She had 10 years to finish "Now That We Don't Talk" and still didn't manage it.

Reactions: GNL
There's something weird about the new Bad Blood. Can't place exactly what, it might just be an Uncanny Valley thing.
I think this one has been recreated really well actually. only the middle 8 feels off, but anywhere she does a "talking vocal" with the Taylor's Versions always sounds shit because she only half commits.

I do think to pinpoint one thing that's missing across this album it's... a bit of emotional urgency. that's something between the vocals and the way the songs are mixed I guess. I feel like occasionally the difference feels massive despite the songs being 95% the same? Wildest Dreams feels really SLOW and honestly a touch boring in a way the original never did.

overall, I'm worried for reputation and praying she does not fuck up Getaway Car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom