Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)

First Taylor's Version where I really know the original for me too. Quite loving it to be honest, the songs are as majestic as ever, and it's nice to hear all the new little twists and tweaks.

Slut!'s title suggested something a little more LIVELY and UPBEAT/Angsty and we get this? :D

Like Jark mentioned before, the new songs were probably incomplete demos/scribbles/bits that Max Martin never got around to touching but omg Jack, they sound very MIDNIGHTS-y, they don't sound like 2013 Taylor, they sound like 2023 Taylor. and on that note, fuck you Max.

Shellback's sole production credit is under Wildest Dreams (which we got eons ago anyway) I wonder what happened that he got kicked out? That said, I think this guy Christopher Rowe did pretty well in replicating most of the production, it must have been a mammoth task because the original album was untouchable.

My hot takeaways are that Style's worst crime is the ad-libs following the Take me homeee middle-8, the high-pitched STAY bits, the robotic intro to I Know Places which is hilarious, her HALF-ARSED vocals on Bad Blood (she was probably on Red Bull recoridng the original but for this one she only had green tea).
Shake It Off sounds tolerable with her more deep, adult voice (still a shit song btw), Clean, Wildest Dreams, and How You Get The Girl were elevated for me.

I am dreading Reputation if Jack stays onboard. I don't get his penchant for compressed mastering that sounds like the songs were recorded through a Game Boy.

Last edited:
Not feeling like diving into the main album at this moment but Is It Over Now? is excellent. But NOOO... :disco:

I'm really pleased at the job done on Blank Space. I was pretty much over that song and it's breathed some new life into it for me

UK Spotify Chart Update (27/10)

01 NE Taylor Swift – "$l*t!" (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 761,126 [*PEAK*]
02 NE Taylor Swift – Style (Taylor's Version) 758,599 [*PEAK*]
03 NE Taylor Swift – Is It Over Now? (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 739,784 [*PEAK*]
04 NE Taylor Swift – Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 702,546 [*PEAK*]
05 NE Taylor Swift – Now That We Don't Talk (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 669,462 [*PEAK*]
06 NE Taylor Swift – Welcome To New York (Taylor's Version) 663,071 [*PEAK*]
07 NE Taylor Swift – Blank Space (Taylor's Version) 656,376 [*PEAK*]
08 NE Taylor Swift – Out Of The Woods (Taylor's Version) 640,806 [*PEAK*]
09 NE Taylor Swift – Suburban Legends (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 582,727 [*PEAK*]
10 NE Taylor Swift – All You Had To Do Was Stay (Taylor's Version) 533,052 [*PEAK*]

11 NE Taylor Swift – Shake It Off (Taylor's Version) 520,882 [*PEAK*]
12 189 Taylor Swift – Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version) 508,784 [*PEAK*]
13 NE Taylor Swift – Bad Blood (Taylor's Version) 480,646 [*PEAK*]
14 NE Taylor Swift – I Wish You Would (Taylor's Version) 476,708 [*PEAK*]
15 NE Taylor Swift – New Romantics (Taylor's Version) 454,062 [*PEAK*]
16 NE Taylor Swift – Clean (Taylor's Version) 446,257 [*PEAK*]
17 NE Taylor Swift – How You Get The Girl (Taylor's Version) 437,175 [*PEAK*]
18 01 Kenya Grace – Strangers 431,363
19 NE Taylor Swift – I Know Places (Taylor's Version) 406,605 [*PEAK*]
20 NE Taylor Swift – Wonderland (Taylor's Version) 404,492 [*PEAK*]

22 RE Taylor Swift – This Love (Taylor’s Version) 382,619
24 NE Taylor Swift – You Are In Love (Taylor's Version) 366,737 [*PEAK*]
49 NE Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar – Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar) (Taylor's Version) 141,724 [*PEAK*]

19 out of the top 20

insane.

Style is #1 on global with 11.6m, massive.
176m first day streams is the second biggest debut EVER on Spotify.

And it’s a re-record :D

Totally here for Style finally getting a strong UK peak, assuming it holds up enough to stay in her top three.

UK Spotify Chart Update (27/10)

01 NE Taylor Swift – "$l*t!" (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 761,126 [*PEAK*]
02 NE Taylor Swift – Style (Taylor's Version) 758,599 [*PEAK*]
03 NE Taylor Swift – Is It Over Now? (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 739,784 [*PEAK*]
04 NE Taylor Swift – Say Don't Go (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 702,546 [*PEAK*]
05 NE Taylor Swift – Now That We Don't Talk (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 669,462 [*PEAK*]
06 NE Taylor Swift – Welcome To New York (Taylor's Version) 663,071 [*PEAK*]
07 NE Taylor Swift – Blank Space (Taylor's Version) 656,376 [*PEAK*]
08 NE Taylor Swift – Out Of The Woods (Taylor's Version) 640,806 [*PEAK*]
09 NE Taylor Swift – Suburban Legends (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) 582,727 [*PEAK*]
10 NE Taylor Swift – All You Had To Do Was Stay (Taylor's Version) 533,052 [*PEAK*]

11 NE Taylor Swift – Shake It Off (Taylor's Version) 520,882 [*PEAK*]
12 189 Taylor Swift – Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version) 508,784 [*PEAK*]
13 NE Taylor Swift – Bad Blood (Taylor's Version) 480,646 [*PEAK*]
14 NE Taylor Swift – I Wish You Would (Taylor's Version) 476,708 [*PEAK*]
15 NE Taylor Swift – New Romantics (Taylor's Version) 454,062 [*PEAK*]
16 NE Taylor Swift – Clean (Taylor's Version) 446,257 [*PEAK*]
17 NE Taylor Swift – How You Get The Girl (Taylor's Version) 437,175 [*PEAK*]
18 01 Kenya Grace – Strangers 431,363
19 NE Taylor Swift – I Know Places (Taylor's Version) 406,605 [*PEAK*]
20 NE Taylor Swift – Wonderland (Taylor's Version) 404,492 [*PEAK*]

22 RE Taylor Swift – This Love (Taylor’s Version) 382,619
24 NE Taylor Swift – You Are In Love (Taylor's Version) 366,737 [*PEAK*]
49 NE Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar – Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar) (Taylor's Version) 141,724 [*PEAK*]

19 out of the top 20
Looking at...this is giving me anxiety.

giphy.gif

Is It Over Now? has taken over #1 on US and global so that will probably debut at the top over Slut!

insane.

Style is #1 on global with 11.6m, massive.
176m first day streams is the second biggest debut EVER on Spotify.
And she'd broken the record for most streams by an artist in a calendar year just prior to its release.

I hadn't heard the bonus tracks from the original deluxe before - they're not at all bad, do I need Scooter's Version of any of those or am I fine with the new takes?

I don't think Wildest Dreams tv is all that, it feels like it's lost some dreamy quality from the original. it's a shame. but the rest has grown on me massively and should easily become my go-to versions of most of these songs. queen is too powerful. :disco:

Didn't expect "Slut!" to be such a sultry gem.

The more I listen to it, the more the story about Taylor being indecisive about choosing between this and Blank Space to be part of the final tracklist for 1989 makes sense. It could very much do with Max Martin's magic in order to become a pop banger, but alas Jack's anemic, tinny production downgrades it a bit. I don't know if that makes sense.

147k so far this week. Fucking hell.

The whole top three singles, but very close so unlikely to hold on. Should have three in the top ten happily though.

That's astonishing. She's already beaten the previous best FULL week sale of the year (Lewis Capaldi) by over 50%.

I'm a very casual fan, if I qualify as a fan at all. Was there a sense that this was the TV everyone was waiting for?

I'm a very casual fan, if I qualify as a fan at all. Was there a sense that this was the TV everyone was waiting for?
It's her most popular album for sure and I think her biggest seller. The pre-orders were vastly more than any of the other re-records and neither Reputation nor the s/t album will come close.

I have the feeling that 1989 was THE album that catapulted into legit international superstardom. It was her "first" attempt at a full-fledged pop album with no hints of country at all and it must have been her best singles campaign run to date: 7 singles including some of the best of her career. sure, not all of them hit #1 but maybe it could have been on par with the Teenage Dream campaign.

Oh yeah, commercially it’s her biggest individual album by a long shot I would say?

Oh yeah, commercially it’s her biggest individual album by a long shot I would say?

I don't think so. I mean, culturally it left a big impression and was a career milestone but I don't think it reached the crazy numbers either Lover or Midnights did, also their corresponding singles campaign were a bit messy: rollouts, random videos thrown out, no traditional promo.

I don't think so. I mean, culturally it left a big impression and was a career milestone but I don't think it reached the crazy numbers either Lover or Midnights did, also their corresponding singles campaign were a bit messy: rollouts, random videos thrown out, no traditional promo.

Oh they opened far bigger from memory, but I think that’s because she had the now huge fan base. As an overall era 1989 I’d have thought is her biggest ‘selling’ album and the singles probably hold more clout with the general public than any of her other albums do.

But then even her smaller albums are still bloody huge anyway so I guess it doesn’t really matter :D

According to Wikipedia, 1989 has sold 1,127,000 in the UK as of October 2022. I assume we'll get an updated figure in the music week article this week.

What I found more interesting though was where it ended up in the year end charts since release:

2014: #11
2015: #6
2016: #44
2017- 2019: not Top 100
2020: #97
2021: #59
2022: #33

And it was #11 of 2023 to the end of September.

And in the year to date 2023 chart, she has

#2 Midnights
#11 1989
#14 Lover
#19 Folklore
#20 Speak Now (Taylor's version)
#24 Reputation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom