Taylor Swift - "Lover" [New Album]

Why are we comparing Lover to Sweetener? Are they produced by the same person or share songwriters? I don't get it.

It's 2019. Female X vs. female Y even though they have nothing in common except for having vulvae in the name of gay stanning is old and boring.

I only mentioned Sweetener because it was another recent Big Pop Girl album that was polarizing and got questionably rave reviews. Half of Ariana's album was made up of Pharrell's reheats from 2006 and Taylor's album is the same old shit with Jack Antonoff.

Nice performances of "You Need to Calm Down" and "Lover" at the MTV Video Music Awards (though the chorus of the latter may have been mimed, no? :david:):

Last edited:
I think I’d have preferred a little more of You Need To Calm Down but that was a very good performance overall. The transition worked well.

Has Lover connected better than I thought? The crowd seemed to go wild for it. But it might have just been for her.

Last edited:
I think I’d have preferred a little more of You Need To Calm Down but that was a very good performance overall. The transition worked well.

Has Lover connected better than I thought? The crowd seemed to go wildness for it. But it might have just been for her.

It's doing very well on iTunes and Spotify. It is the 'current' single I guess so it makes sense, but the fact it has been #1 on US spotify for a few days is rather impressive.

Reactions: SDF
Managed to get it a wee bit cheaper so I'll have a listen tonight.

I;m sure you're all on tenterhooks.

I hate how she has a single (album tracks now withstanding) that sticks with me HARD :disco:. Delicate from the last era and now Lover from this one. As annoying as she is sometimes it's just a very nice song.

"London Boy" is shite.

My favourite so far is "Cornelia Street" followed by "Soon You'll Get Better".

The more I listen to the album, the more I really love it. It almost feels like 'Red' in that, unlike the last two albums, she seems much more comfortable to flit between genres.

It's not faultless and I'm not convinced there are (m)any career highs on here, but it's a much easier listen than 'Reputation'. I totally get what she was doing with that album and why she felt she had to go in that direction, but it was a bit of a CHORE in places.

I think mostly I just appreciate a pop album being, well, a pop album.

Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince has been such a revelation for me during this week, That plinky plonky piano is haunting.
I looked up the credits and what a SURPRISE is from the guy who Lorde wrote most of Pure Heroine with :disco: MORE OF THIS TAYLOR PLEASE - at least production-wise, it's divine.

(though how many songs can she write about high school even if she's thirty?)

The entire world has done that for years though. I’m paraphrasing but I remember back in the day a Madonna album was advertised with something like “the very pinnacle of Madonna’s best work” when the quote was something like “Although it doesn’t hold up alongside the very pinnacle of Madonna’s best work...”

now that I've paid a lot of attention to this album, am I alone thinking it's very CHVRCHES in places (iffy lyrics aside).

:( sorry just me

here we go just for fun

06 I Forgot That You Existed
|0 Cruel Summer
09 Lover
09 The Man
06 The Archer
04 I Think He Knows
10 Miss Americana...
08 Paper Rings
09 Cornelia Street
08 Death by a Thousand Cuts
05 London Boy
06 Soon You'll Get Better
09 False God
08 You Need to Calm Down
09 Afterglow
07 ME!
08 It's Nice to Have a Friend
09 Daylight

good to see lovey dovey Taylor back after that borefest reputation was, what a chore lifeless album. It's good she did it though, it was something she needed at the time and I'm glad she got it out of her system but please don't come back ever.

She just didn't pull the whole evil Taylor persona convincingly at all! I mean, it had such promising titles that on paper it seemed thy would work like I did something bad, Look what you've made me do, This is why we can't have nice things..., etc. but the final product was so limp (imho). If it were Lana Del Rey she would have seamlessly gotten away with such titles and you COULD picture her stealing an old Cadillac driving it through the highway, brakes not properly working while smoking a blunt and shooting every narc passing her way whilst Taylor sounded like a little girl who probably took a cookie from the jar without permission.
Stuff in Lover sounds more believable and she's more at home.

Last edited:
Jack Antonoff is on fire between this and Lana Del Rey I love how versatile he is
Plus he's a HOT PIECE :horny:. Joel Little isn't bad either :D

I'm enjoying this, though it is overlong and the sequencing is rather peculiar. Overall it's a lot more fun than Reputation, though not a match for 1989.

I've been the archer
I've been the prey
screaming who could ever leave me, darlin'?
but who could stay?

Awake in the night
I pace like a ghost
the room is on fire
invisible smoke
and all of my heroes die all alone
help me hold onto you...

A very good song indeed.

I'm astonished how many of you are happy to listen to this cunt's music. I may give it a try when she's dead.

I'm astonished how many of you are happy to listen to this cunt's music. I may give it a try when she's dead.

That's what bursts my tits about you, you constantly mince your words. Just spit it out, man.

See she used to right get on my tits, especially when she was inescapable. But the last year or so I’ve softened towards her. I think finally accepting that (novelty rubbish aside) she actually can produce some pretty marvellous pop tracks, and at least she puts in 110% effort in being a popstar, in an era when the top 20 is 90% rubbish I can’t stand, she’s become somewhat refreshing.

And with a few extra years she seems far less annoying and whiny and a bit more palatable as a person.

say you'll remember me
standing in a nice dress
staring at the sunset babe

:disco:

Taylor at the peak of her powers is an incredible popstar honestly. This album is fine for now but I have faith she'll deliver another works of 1989 quality some day soon.

let's face it, the real star of the album was Max Martin so unless she manages to get him on board for at least a couple of songs she'll keep releasing the same "Will this do ?" stuff over and over again.

Max, has proven throughout the years he brings the BEST out of everybody. Proof: Lana, Ariana, Katy and even fucking Taylor Swift.

Honestly Taylor is probably DEAD to me now that she's dropped Max and kept Jack fucking Antonoff (would still fuck him though).

Jack's not so bad to be honest! I would have loved however, if she also gave a welcome return to Ryan Tedder cause I Know Places was great.

Has she ever worked with Greg Kurstin? Is he still a thing (and alive)?

"I Know Places" is SO good.

I don't think she has worked with Kurstin. Not sure what he's doing these days but on Gwen's last album his work was definitely the best.

I wouldn't have minded if Taylor had done more songs with Joel Little. "ME!" was absolute GARBAGE but I really liked "You Need to Calm Down" and "Miss Americana..." is the best track on "Lover". He's not quite up to the standards of Max but I would have taken it.

The work Jack Antonoff has done with Lana suggests pretty clearly that the problem in his Taylor stuff is not him but her. He's an amazing producer and Taylor on better songwriting form could really push herself with him. She won't get a hit from Max Martin again for sure.

Joel Little is also great with Lorde, not great with Taylor. Keep Antonoff and find another producer who's a bit more adventurous than the same old names.

Miss Americana has proven to be QUITE THE HIDDEN GEM in this over-bloated album. I love it when she channels her inner Lana Del Rey fan.

OK!!!!!

Now it’s winter, Lover is revealing itself to me

She’s also just dropped a remix with Shawn Mendes which doesn’t butcher the song:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom